CTRL+DRAG a clip to change its speed

I have seen this feature in sony vegas where just by dragging the edge of a clip while pressing control changes the clip’s speed/ duration.
This feature should also be there in shotcut.

4 Likes

That sounds like a nice feature. Sometimes when you change the speed of a clip, you need it to fit in a specific space. It’s very difficult to end up with the exact amount of frames. So what I usually do is guess and edit the speed until the clip gets a bit longer than the available space and cut the excess frames.

I don’t know if this feature should be added, but it would be useful.

1 Like

That would be very helpful sometimes. Not only with Vegas Pro but also with Kdenlive this works well.

1 Like

Took me a while to understand how this works, till I read @MusicalBox’s reply, which I’d rephrase as shrinking and stretching a clip, i.e. changing its speed, instead of trimming, to make it shorter or longer. I’d more intuitively associate that with Alt than Ctrl, but if Ctrl is what other packages use, that’s probably what shotcut should stick to.

UPDATE: I just saw @Micha asked and suggested precisely that here, and a solution was given using a (Time Remap) filter. I trust it works, but it’s far from being as intuitive as CTRL-drag.

1 Like

The Time Remap is a very powerful filter. However, it is also very complex to use. It’s a masterstroke to use it to precisely lengthen or shorten a clip so that it fits exactly into a gap - without losing any image sequences.
If I want to flit over a slip of the tongue more quickly at a small point in an interview, it’s much easier to make a cut before and after that mistake and then drag that section to the desired length with mouse+ctrl, if that would change the speed.
So Time Remap is unlikely to replace this method.

1 Like