Crop then rotate broken for images that aren't full frame (20.02.17)

If I put in an image into my timeline that is anything other than full frame sized, then do crop followed by rotate & scale, it distorts everything. Even if there is no rotation and scale applied it still appears distorted.

To reproduce (at least on my machine):

1. Create a new project, 1080p 25fps
  2. Load an image file that isn’t 1920x1080, (mine is 488x952)
  3. Put it on the timeline
  4. Add filters: crop, rotation and scale. Leave the default parameters (show everything, no rotation)
  5. Boom, distorted images.

My hardware details:
Shotcut 20.02.17, Windows 10 64 (10.0.18362 Build 18362)
Processor: Intel® Core™ i9-8950HK CPU @ 2.90GHz, 2904 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 with Max-Q Design

Total Physical Memory 15.8 GB
Available Physical Memory 7.33 GB

Temporary workaround by the way is to resize images to the same size as the frame in gimp

No boom, no distortion.
4. Added filter: Rotate/Scale 90 degrees, then added Crop: Rectangle

I think all are working well bro… I applied your all condition in the demo project. there is no crash in my case. apply only rotate and scale filter. your image 488x952 is a portrait image not a landscape. and your project 1920x1080 is landscape. after applying crop: rectangle is auto-add padding and makes it 1920x1080 by default.

That also works fine on mine. If the crop is first in the filter list then it distorts on mine.

Then swap the order of the filters.

But that doesn’t do the same thing. If I crop a rectangle then rotate it is different to rotating then cropping a rectangle.

In the example where I noticed this, I have things that unroll from the bottom of the image, which is done using a sliding crop. Then I want some of them to come in at angles. There’s no way to do this with rotate then crop.

It should work either way, as it does if you resize the image to frame size then do the filters in my order.

“crop” is ambiguous. I reproduced it with Crop: Rectangle and Crop: Circle but not Crop: Source.

I found a workaround for this little quirk that might work for you until it’s fixed. The image does not have to be resized.

Add Crop: Rectangle, then add Rotate and Scale. Set the Y offset to 1 or -1.

Then add Size and Position and move it to the top of the filter stack. Set it to Fill Center Middle.

Now the image can be rotated with no distortion.

This works with Crop: Circle too.

4 Likes

This is fixed for the next version 20.09

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.