Creative idea - how I made animated subtitles

Hi folks, I did more experimenting…

So, first I went to open>other>colour and imported a white colour clip.
Then I used size/position filter keyframes to make a short simple animation whereby the white colour slides into the centre, then slides outwards. I exported this as a Quicktime Animation (.mov) which makes the black bits transparent:

https://streamable.com/elwhd

Then: Imported this into SC on V2 track, applied a size/position filter (distort checked) to make it a small box positioned at the centre bottom of the screen.

Then, with a bit of precision positioning of text filters on V3, and cutting/pasting the imported animated box on the timeline, I ended up with the following demo:
(Note: the text examples are intentionally silly, and the screenshot in the background does not correlate directly to the subtitles, since this is just a short demo to give an example of what can be done):

https://streamable.com/znbp1

Hopefully this idea might be useful to someone out there. Just thought I’d post it anyway!
Jon

5 Likes

That’s great, @jonray! So simple but a nice tough that expands the ways to use text on screen rather than just having them appear out of nowhere or fade in and fade out. It’s great that you and @sauron are here sharing these bits of experimentation you guys do. I learn a lot! So many great ideas! :grinning:

One question about exporting using the Quicktime preset. How do you create an alpha channel within a sequence in Shotcut? Do you have to open a transparent video from open>other>color and lay that down in the timeline? Then after exporting it in Quicktime it will have the alpha channel?

That is spooookily familiar, and a nice effect.
I’ve been working on a YouTube series on autism and it’s presented in a news-desk style with a virtual screen to one side of the presenter. In the last one and the latest one which is going up on YouTube later today, I’ve used the exact same unfolding/refolding effect on the virtual screen :slight_smile:

1 Like

@QDSOV, you edited that whole video with just Shotcut? Nice video.

Yep. Since key-frames were introduced and refined, Shotcut is the only video editor I need for most purposes. Thanks for the compliment :slight_smile:

Thank you, @DRM - glad it helped/was of interest to you. I appreciate your feedback. Will continue to post creative ideas, if and when I get them! :grinning:

Yes, that works. Also having no clip on V1 but putting a transparent text clip on V2 gives you a transparency when exported as a Quicktime animation. Whatever is black in the preview is transparent (unless you put a black colour clip).

Wow, that is more than nice, @QDSOV - excellent video, professionally presented and edited. All done with Shotcut - amazing. Bravo! :+1::+1: Also a very informative and interesting subject matter.

Just an aside - I have taught several pupils diagnosed with Asperger’s syndrome to play piano in my career as a music teacher - one lad in particular, aged 15, was able to memorise the whole of the slow movement of Beethoven’s Moonlight Sonata, and played it beautifully, but found reading even the most “simple” music notation - a thing as basic as recognising C, D or E on a stave - impossible. I kept asking him how the hell he could memorise music to such a level without being able to read one note of it, and he always replied - “no idea - I just can…” The brain really is truly remarkable…

1 Like

Thanks @jonray , I appreciate the compliment. All the videos on the Autistamatic channel have been edited solely using Shotcut. It is a brilliant piece of software which has evolved so much since I first started using it in January this year . I would recommend it to anyone wishing to dip their toes into video editing :slight_smile:

Just come across this thread, and am amazed at what you did just with ShotCut!

I’ve about a zillion questions, but will restrict myself to just one (for now). How did you get you being cut out in front of the background? I’m really new at SC, so would appreciate some pointers.

What would be great is if you could do some tutorials, as you’ve obviously got this software down to a fine art.

Thanks

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.