Create Volume Automation Envelope Filter

Hi,
I was looking through the Audio filters for a Volume Automation / Envelope of some sort to enable quick, and versatile adjustments of audio levels, and - unless I am wrong - see there is nothing like this.

Are there any plans to introduce Volume Automation?

The current ‘gross’ way of effecting audio potentially requires manually splitting the audio clip in many places, if one wants to vary the audio volume at quite a few different points, and having to do things this way is extremely cumbersome.

I am planning on sticking with Shotcut as my video editor for now, and my workaround will be editing audio in my DAW (Reaper), and re-importing the clip to Shotcut.

However, I can imagine this might become a deal-breaker eventually, especially considering that other video editing programs have this capability, and that the workflow and methodology of using a volume envelope is so intuitive, quick and easy.

I saw one other post from 2019 in which someone was talking about using keyframes to effect the audio, and while that sounds good in theory, the poster seemed to find it a less-than-ideal solution.

Use the Audio filter Gain/Volume with Keyframes. No splitting is required.

1 Like

Keyframes is the ideal way to do it in Shotcut.

Video tutorial here:

Hi Hudson555x.
Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, though, you ignored what I was saying in my post: that the workflow and methodology of using a volume envelope is so intuitive, quick and easy.

In Shotcut, one has to:

1. Click on the audio track
  2. Click on ‘Filters’
  3. Go to the appropriate filter and click on it
  4. Then go to the audio track and begin to change the volume
  5. If one is working with two or more audio tracks, many of the above steps have to be repeated for each track

So, as I said originally, this is a very cumbersome way of going about things.

Hi brian.
Thanks for your reply, and the link.

Please see my response to Hudson555x for the reasons that I think this is far from “ideal” as you put it.

OK. I guess you are asking for a different control - maybe make them look like mixing board sliders or something that you find more intuitive. It is unclear to me since I do not know what “Volume Automation” is.

Your title suggestion is to create a filter. Any filter is going to require steps 1-4 that you listed above. So maybe you don’t really want a filter?

I think he wants the Gain keyframes to be visible and changeable directly in the clip on the timeline, overlaying the waveform preview or maybe shown under it. This is how Cubase works. In essence, volume is a keyframable filter that is always visible and ready to be edited.

Sorry if I was not clear.

The actual graphical way of applying audio points/automation through keyframes (and which is shown in the video) is fine, and is exactly what I was looking for.

For me, though, the workflow is much too involved (even though I know I will get used to it).

I would much rather be able to right-click and choose (in this case) something like ‘Keyframes for Audio’ from a context menu, and have the Gain/Volume filter and keyframe tab automatically pop up, than have to go through the multiple steps necessary (and which I described above, and I forgot one of them) to set up / access the keyframes for audio.

And also to not have to wait 8 or 9 seconds for that to happen.

Thanks for your reply, Austin.

Please see my reply to brian, for clarity around this.

I did not ignore what you were saying.

This is actually a false statement. You can split an audio clip “in many places”, but not required.

Either way, I get that you don’t care for Shotcut’s approach to editing audio. Your point is understood. :+1:

I have thought about this in the past, but the timeline performance needs improvement before more complexity can be added.

@shotcut, your response came in while I was informing myself and thinking about this interesting proposal about volume automation, and I was just about to make a similar remark. I’ve noticed a lot of different wishes about Shotcut by a lot of people who prefer working in different ways. A risk that I foresee about trying to cater to too many different preferences is creating complexity to the extent of alienating people who have chosen Shotcut precisely for the reason that its complexity is still manageable, without having to become a video editing pro.

Thanks, Dan. Good to know you have considered it, and it might be included in the future.

Hi gseydack.

I had been thinking about this, too, but in the case of my suggestion (and others like mine which would involve fewer steps to accomplish a task), I would imagine people would welcome a simpler, more streamlined functionality.

Once again, you are missing my point.

It is not about like or even preference: it is about easy of use/functionality (which includes saving time).
:point_up_2:

1 Like