Crash on ripple delete many clips

Good morning,
About the latest version, Shotcut crashes way too much. On simple cuts, or removing bits of clips, in an hour’s time Shotcut crashes about 10 times. In addition, I notice slowness on common and basic functions (cuts, text filter)
The current editing has the same characteristics as the previous ones made with previous versions of Shotcut. This is the first time after so many versions of Shotcut being used, that the application crashes so much.
Beyond the improvements and functions, for me this version is too unstable to be considered as a production tool. I’m going back to the previous version.
I’ll see with the next version…

Hint: for the new features on adding text, “Add to Timeline” should also add the clip to the playlist.

Good luck to the developers

bonjour,
A propos de la dernière version, Shotcut plante beaucoup trop. Sur de simples coupes, ou en supprimant des morceaux de clips, en une heure de temps, Shotcut plante environ 10 fois. De plus, je remarque des lenteurs sur des fonctions courantes et de bases (coupes, filtre texte)
Le montage actuel est de mêmes caratéristiques que les précédents réalisés avec les versions précédentes de Shotcut. C’est la première fois après tant de versions de Shotcut utilisées, que l’application plante autant.
Au delà des améliorations et fonctions, pour moi cette version est trop instable pour être considérée comme outil de production. Je retourne sur la version précédente.
Je verrai avec la prochaine version…

Suggestion : pour les nouvelles fonctionnalités sur l’ajout de texte, “Ajouter à la timeline” devrait aussi ajouter le clip à la liste de lecture.

Bon courage au developpeurs

It would be most useful to the developers if you can report what those specific crashes are. Telling them there are crashes isn’t going to help at all.

The more detailed the algorithm of actions that will lead to a failure, you describe, the more likely that the developer will understand you, reproduce the failure and be able to fix it. Ideally, make screen recordings, where you can clearly see after which sequence of actions the failure occurs.

yes thanks for the advice.
My post was for informational purposes and given the cumulative difficulties on this version, I think that the designers are aware of the problem mentioned and will be fixed in the future version.
Maybe my post is badly “interpreted” by its speed, I present my apologies in this case. I’m in production and therefore not too much time.
Nevertheless, here is the description of the problem.
New Project Shotcut 230507
A 55min video, 1080p, 30fps, GOP 250, HEVC; Audio: 32-bit AAC, 48kHz, Lossly (OBS screenshot)
2 video tracks (one for texts, images…), the other for video
Problem: from the beginning, during a cut, slowing down of the cutting action - a short waiting time - then a second quick cut - normal cutting action time - then a third cut, again the problem and and so on.
So one out of two cuts is “slow”, waiting time (between 1/2s to 1s).

Second problem.
I work in two ways on a video.
I cut, I delete or I listen to about thirty seconds of video, then I make the cuts, then I select all the clips to be deleted, and delete them at once.
Although in the first case, I had only one crash, the second case poses a real problem: crash about once out of three (maybe it depends on the number of cuts?)

Windows 10 up-to-date / i9 - 32Go - AMD Vega20 4Go / Double screen including a 4k (display shotcut / Windows 150%)
Timeline size: medium
Timeline zoom: about twice the default setting
Display: small icons

The only change since last week:
Second Tuesday of every month Win10 update

Going back to the previous version of Shotcut, no problem.
Namely, I make video montages every week which take me about 12 hours of work for a result between 2 and 3 hours of videos…

If necessary, after this prod, I reinstall version 230507 to study the problem and be able to specify it. And if other shotcut users see this problem, please join this post.

oui merci pour le conseil.
Mon post était à titre informatif et étant donné les difficultés cumulées sur cette version, je pense que les concepteurs connaissent le problème évoqué et sera corrigé dans la future version.
Peut-être que mon post est mal “interprété” par sa rapidité, je présente dans ce cas mes excuses. Je suis en prod et donc pas trop de temps.
Néanmoins, voici la description du problème.
Nouveau projet Shotcut 230507
Une vidéo de 55min, 1080p, 30fps, GOP 250, HEVC ; Audio : AAC 32 bits, 48kHz, Lossly (capture écran OBS)
2 pistes vidéos (une pour les textes, images…), l’autre pour la vidéo
Problème : dés le début, lors d’une coupure, ralentissement de l’action de coupe - un court temps d’attente - puis seconde coupe rapide - temps d’action de la coupe normal - puis troisième coupe, de nouveau le problème et ainsi de suite.
Donc une coupe sur deux est “lente”, temps d’attente (entre 1/2s à 1s).

Second problème.
Je travaille de deux manières sur une vidéo.
Je coupe, je supprime ou bien j’écoute environ trente seconde de vidéo, puis je fais les coupes, puis je sélectionne tous les clips à supprimer, et les supprime en une seule fois.
Bien que dans le premier cas, j’ai eu un seul plantage, le second cas pose un réel problème : plantage une fois sur trois environ (c’est peut en fonction du nombre de coupes ?)

Windows 10 à jour / i9 - 32Go - AMD Vega20 4Go / Double écran dont un 4k (affichage shotcut / Windows 150%)
Taille de la timeline : moyenne
Zoom de la timeline : environ le double de la configuration par défaut
Affichage : petites icônes

La seule modification depuis la semaine dernière :
Mise à jour de Win10 du deuxième mardi de chaque mois

En revenant sur la version précédente de Shotcut, pas de problème.
A savoir, je réalise toutes les semaines des montages vidéos qui me prennent environ 12h de travail pour un résultat entre 2 et 3 heures de vidéos…

Si besoin, après cette prod, je réinstalle la version 230507 pour étudier le problème et pouvoir le préciser. Et si d’autres utilisateurs de shotcut constatent ce problème, qu’ils se joignent à ce post.

Quick tip: you can have 2 (or more) Shotcut versions if you choose the standalone zip versions which doesn’t need installing and you can use it for testing or if you want a special feature from it.

1 Like

The first problem (an edit action being a little slow but not very slow) is minor and subjective.

The second problem I reproduced intermittently, but the crash log shows a problem entirely in the Qt library. So, it will be difficult to fix unless a simple upgrade helps. Will keep trying.

1 Like

Why? It is not required. If you want that choose Open instead and add it to the Playlist.

I tested, ok, it works. Indeed, the text is not repetitive so useless in the timeline!

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.