Crash on add selected to timeline

I am able to crash Shotcut 20.04.12 consistently when adding multiple mp4s from the playlist to the timeline using the Playlist “Add selected to timeline” option.

Though perhaps a coincidence, the crash occurs when the source window is active and its content is paused within the clip. When the cursor is at the 0:00 position or (on reload after the crash) the source window inactive, the timeline loads from the playlist without a problem.

I am running Windows 10.0 Build 18363 on a Dell Inspiron 15-3567

I have not been able to reproduce this. I tried with an existing timeline as well as removing all tracks to let it create V1 as well as adding V2 and sending to there. I tried about 10 times with up to 16 playlist items selected (all videos except 1 audio).

I struggle to understand how that could make a different per the code. I tested with both a playlist item in Source as well as something not in Playlist or Timeline. I also tested while Source is playing.
But thanks for trying to help by reporting your problem. Maybe some more information will come to light - some other condition required to reproduce the bug.

Yes, it did not make any sense to me either, but it was the only consistency I noticed.
I no longer can reproduce it either. But it happened four times in a row before I opted to post it as a possible bug. And has happened infrequently before.
Perhaps it is a conflict with some other open application.
I’ll try to remember to run my screen recorder the next time I load multiple clips to the timeline.
Very curious.

I am having a somewhat similar experience.

If I start a project, and add any media to the timeline, Video, Image or Audio. It just closes. Even creating a blank track and it closes. I have tried with OpenGL on and off. Same.

It was working fine on Ubuntu Budgie 18.04, but I have now reloaded to Ubuntu 20.04, and it doesn’t work.

I am running the version of SC from the repository, and trying to work with projects that are 1920x1080x30.

I have a Dell Vostro 1015 with 4GB RAM and a 32GB SDD Swap. Everything I do works flawlessly, but not working with SC since reload.

Gone through the forums and tried all the advice I could find, but nothing made a difference.

Oh, and CPU barely passes 15% while this happens. RAM also clear.

Okay, I removed the one from the Ubuntu Repo, and installed using Flatpak and it seems to work now.

Hi. I’ve a similar more drastic problem after launching Shotcut version 20.02.21 on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS I find if I try to add a video track to the timeline it crashes Shotcut. I have no project files loaded.

Then running it under GDB I can see a crash stack trace. But forum won’t let me post it. Ah I had to remove greater/less than signs :slight_smile:

I’m happy to debug any test code if others cannot reproduce this bug.

Then running it under GDB I see the following crash stack trace:

[Debug ] AudioLoudnessScopeWidget::resetQview begin
[Debug ] KeyframesDock::load> begin
New Thread 0x7fffd5ffb700 (LWP 7746)
[Debug ] Timeline::AddTrackCommand::redo video

Thread 1 “shotcut” received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0x00007ffff7f6c78f in mlt_service_connect_producer () from /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libmlt.so.6
(gdb) bt
#0 0x00007ffff7f6c78f in mlt_service_connect_producer () from /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libmlt.so.6
#1 0x00007ffff7f763bd in mlt_transition_connect () from /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libmlt.so.6
#2 0x00007ffff7f76cfa in mlt_field_plant_transition () from /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libmlt.so.6

I’m happy to debug any test code if others cannot reproduce this bug.

Happy days. Problem doesn’t occur if I run:

https://github.com/mltframework/shotcut/releases/download/v20.04.12/Shotcut-200412.glibc2.14-x86_64.AppImage

I can now drag video from my playlist to the timeline.

Looking forward to using Shotcut for the first time after watching the excellent 15 min training video this morning :slight_smile:

Here is a screeencast of a crash in progress https://youtu.be/giQClVT4cVo

I see you are using MLT XML files as virtual clips. That is an important, special detail. I will bookmark this to look into sometime soon.

They did load properly later. I have had the same symptoms with .mp4 and .png and .jpg extensions. All, unfortunately, intermittent.

I see. Well, there was a little bit of change in this area for the next version. Maybe it cleared up some problems. Beta expected tomorrow.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.