Crackling audio when editing video

Hi everyone!

I’m very new to Shotcut and vid editing programmes that aren’t the Windows Movie Maker. I’ve recorded a video with my DSLR (Canon T6i), using an external microphone. When playing the original video, the audio is perfectly clear, so the issue here can’t be my microphone.

When I edit the video on Shotcut however, I get a crackling sound when there is audio (it’s a person speaking) which is super annoying as you can imagine. I’m now trying to export the file hoping that it will turn out fine once it’s a video but I don’t know.

All I have done is crop the video and slice it so I can delete some parts. That’s it. I don’t think I have messed with any of the original settings, at least I didn’t change anything.

Does anyone know what the issue here might be? I work with Windows 7 (64 bit). Thank you so much in advance!

1 Like

Does the crackling affect the exported/encoded file or is it just when editing in Shotcut?

I played the exported file a few minutes ago and couldn’t hear any crackling, so I assume it’s just when editing. If that’s the case, there is no issue, I guess…

Possibly because your PC hardware is struggling with real-time previewing during editing.

2 Likes

That makes perfect sense. Thank you so much :slight_smile:

Yeah, you do tend to get some weird anomalies like that in preview mode… pops, crackling, stutters etc. I find that sometimes if you replay the segments a few times, taking the start point back a few extra seconds they often smooth out, suggesting - as Steve says - it’s a performance issue.

If I play something back a few times and there’s still a hiccup of some kind I’ll see if I can add a fade in to mask it… assuming there’s enough dead air to do that.

I’m getting those sounds when I split the audio tracks and the video tracks, they are so annoying! I just can’t get rid of all of them, I’ve been uploading my videos like that since some of those sounds just don’t seem to go away, I would really appreciate if someone could let me know how to fix it or at least mask them and yes I do apply transitions and fade in effects as well but some of those sounds just won’t go way