Codec setup for PowerPoint recordings

Hello everyone,
I am new to the forums, so first of all I would like to say thanks for offering and maintaining Shotcut - it is an amazing software! Also, I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge about codecs and other technical stuff. And here is my issue:

I have several recordings of PowerPoint presentations, each one approx. 90 min long. The format is AVI, file sizes vary from 600 MB to 3 GB. The codec used in the recordings is TSCC, and it is specifically designed for very slow desktop recordings (saves space when there are only still images, but explodes in size when capturing moving stuff).

In total, 90% of the content are simple slides, diagrams - still images basically. The remaining 10% are embedded videos from YouTube.

So now I want to cut the videos with Shotcut, export them as mp4’s and share them on a learning platform. Therefore, I want the videos to have good compatibility (should be playable on PC and Mac without any problems), and smaller file size is more important than picture quality. A resolution of 960x720 will totally suffice, perhaps even smaller. What codec settings would you use based on the content I have?

I tried libx264, QB-VBR, 60% quality, 240 frames GOP, 8 B frames. File size seems to be OK. Does it make sense, or is it nonsense? :slight_smile:

Thank you!

1 Like