GPU: Zotac RTX 3060
RAM: 32GB 3200MHz
MOTHERBOARD: MSI X470 Gaming Pro

File to be edited
FORMAT: MKV
AVERAGE RAW VIDEO LENGTH: 1-1.5 hours

Version 22.06.23

Issue
When selecting or cutting a video, the application becomes unresponsive for a mean of 7 seconds, this seems to occur when the application has been active for 10-15 minutes.

Ruleouts
This occurs even when there is only one track.
The slowdown doesn’t start when the raw footage is in the track.

Possibilities
This may be triggered when a “Filter” such as a on screen text is set

Notes
In the last few months, I have upgraded my graphics card from a ASUS GTX 1060 3GB graphics card to a Zotac RTX 3060. and also upgraded from 16GB (Two sticks) 3000MHz of ram to 32GB (Two sticks) 3200MHz of ram, and had the same snags then. So far this is my favorate editing software, mostly since its free, and I commend that. It even gives more than premiere rush.
However, this has been irking me, especially since it already takes time editing a one hour video down to 10-20 minutes. And currently I don’t have the time that I would usually have to edit. Fixing this would not only be more convenient, but also would make the experience of editing less interrupted.
Supporting
-ArcticWraith06

You are running a version of Shotcut that is more than 8 months old. There have been several upgrades since then.

Maybe you should upgrade to the latest version ( 22.12.21) and check if you still have the same issues. If you don’t want to overwrite the version you actually use, you can download a portable version of 22.12.21. Click the download link on top of this page.

Also, you didn’t specify what operating system you use.

1 Like

I am Currently Editing a Video, Are there further steps to get the half done project to the newly installed version or do I have to start from scratch after the install?

I’m not sure about that. But I do remember reading posts from other members who mentioned that they prefer not to upgrade Shotcut while they are in the middle of a project.

Absolutely relatable, nothing sucks more that having to edit somthing you just edited again XD.

Thank you for your support.

In my opinion, you won’t have to start from scratch. If you do upgrade to a new version, or use a portable version, I suggest you make a copy of your project’s MLT file, and use that copy on the new version of Shotcut.

What happens if I install the newer Shotcut where the former is?

It will replace your 22.06.23 version.
But like I said above you can also download and use a portable version that doesn’t need to be installed. Your current v22.06.23 won’t be affected.

Do you happen to have mapped network drives that are unreachable? I had a very similar issue with this: Intermittent freezes/not responding for up to 30s when selecting filters that use file paths and a mapped network drive is unreachable (Windows)

Yah I just got back to my current edit after updating and I am still getting stiffs

Nope, looks just fine.

Directry is “Local Disk (C:) > Program Files > Shotcut”

What I just realized is that my RAM set does not have 24GBs available, the file size of the raw MKV file I am editing is 24.8GBs, but Task manager doesn’t squirm when Shotcut hangs.

The reason why I am curious about this is that when I was playing Mechwarrior 5 with some of my cousins a few weeks back, there was a problem with a mod that would use the rest of the affected’s RAM according to task manager.