Choppy 4k videos in Shortcut, can't edit

I shot with the GoPro Hero 7 in 4k in 60fps. My laptop has windows 10, i7, 8gb ram, but I just can’t work with the files because it hardly plays. What should I do? I think my laptop isn’t good enough to support the files.

It is always a good idea to state what H/W, OS and version of Shotcut you are using when asking for help.

Regarding your problem, you can do “proxy” editing, which involves editing a lower resolution of the file then replacing the lower resolution file at the end of all the edits by the high resolution one. See:

Hey, thank you so much for your help! I am using the latest version of Shotcut. I also tried to download handbrake before, but it doesn’t work unless I download some Windows software (forgot the name), but for some reason it does not let me install it. I am kind of disappointed that this feature (proxy videos) is not included in Shotcut. I saw that some other free editors like Lightworks seem to have this included. Not sure if it’s worth it to switch over.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.