Change in how clips are brought into the timeline?

I hope I can explain this properly…

When I upgraded to the latest version, there seems to be a change in how the clips are loaded on to the timeline when dragging them from the source window or the playlist.

I usually have multiple video timelines and one audio timeline for music. Most of my clips go on the first video timeline but I have spots where there are multiple clips in the same place, one on each video timeline.

Unless I’m including multiple clips in the same place, I prefer to only have it show the audio track and the first and second video tracks… that way my preview/source window is bigger. Before the update, I could drag a new clip down directly to one of those timelines but after the update… it automatically jumps me all the way to the video track at the very top and I have to keep dragging it down to the bottom one and then readjust my scroll bar.

It wouldn’t be so bad if I didn’t make an average of 100 or more cuts per video. :sweat_smile:

Was this intentional? Is there a setting to fix it?

I hope I have explained it properly. lol Thanks in advance.

Yes, we did change something. In version 24.02, we added automatic scrolling to the timeline when dragging clips. I can see how it might be unexpected for the scrolling to happen when dragging from the source player. But, on the other hand, what would you do if the track you want to target is scrolled off the panel? With this new behavior, you should be able to keep dragging down and get back to the track that you want to target.

I will bookmark this post to remind myself to revisit it sometime.

In the meantime, if you can’t make the new behavior work for you, you can go back to the previous version:

1 Like

Thank you. I just wondered if it was intentional. It’s no problem, I’m sure I will get used to it. Like when the change of clicking top of the timeline was the only way to put the playhead in a specific place (other than click it directly and dragging) as opposed to anywhere in the timeline… it took some getting used to. I believe the feature of click and dragging in the timeline to select multiple clips (w/a red box) at a time was added. I really like that new feature. Thank you again!

1 Like