Change Clip Duration with Keyboard Input

The only way to change clips in the timeline is by dragging it with the mouse. For some elements, e.g. color, there is no direct way at all possible to see the duration of the clip since it is not shown in the properties.

It would be easier and more convenient to enter the length (as digits) in a field instead.

When you are trimming a clip (including color) in the timeline, a tooltip appears that shows you the new duration.

Yes, I know that, and I also use this. But still it is very inconvenient to do this only via mouse.

It is especially inconvient on a mid- to low-range computer.

My computer is normally capable of editing videos and all the other stuff, but extending those clips is very frustrating since there is some essential lag between moving the mouse and the reaction of Shotcut.

Even with a top-notch computer I’d prefer an input per keyboard since it is way faster (at least for me).

I do not disagree, and this is already frequently requested.

2 Likes

Source Player

Timeline

• S (Keyboard shortcut to Split), then right click and Remove.
    2020-09-24_23-52-39

You need to use the : (colon) to get the time code, or you could calculate the frames, and type in whole frames and it will compute the time code for you via what the video mode is set at.
2020-09-24_23-59-27

2 Likes

When would you use digital keyboard input for a clip length? I can only imagine when you want your transistions to have all the same length. Or if you show images to have them the same length. For the later you can set the default duration time. For the transistions (and alike) i would like to see a copy-paste of attributes - like copy to all selected items in timeline e.g. I know this feature from other editors where you can adjust all transistions or filter e.g. that you have selected in one step.

For normal clip editing i dont see a need for digital input as you normally do the cuts by viewing.

Exactly for this purpose I need that. I have several days (of a vaction) - every starting with a daily title and some images at the beginning. Now I wanted to extend them all (to the same length), and so I had to do this for every one with the mouse dragging. In other tools this is a task of seconds (what I’ve read).

But this is only possible when adding a color item, isn’t it?

But this only shortens a color item, doesn’t it?

You can set the default time for images (to frames or seconds) in the proterties tab. When you drag an image to the timeline every image will be shown the exact same lengt of default time :slight_smile:

No

But this only shortens a color item, doesn’t it?

No

Now I wanted to extend them all (to the same length), and so I had to do this for every one with the mouse dragging.

In addition to what @RilosVideos wrote, you may also be interested in