Can't save freshly opened MLT project in ShotCut

Shotcut version 18.06.02
Windows

Steps to reproduce issue:

1. Open ShotCut.
  2. File -> Save As

Nothing happens! It should bring a window to save currently empty MLT.

This issue is important because people may forget to save their MLT file later. If one has a habit of saving MLT as soon as shotcut is opened, it will be useful in case of data loss later.

For comparison: Audacity has this feature. You can open new audacity instance and save an empty project, right after opening. Other software such as Microsoft Word or notepad have this feature.

Also I think it is non-intuitive for nothing to happen when you press a button in a software. If nothing is going to happen when you press a button - it should be grayed out.

I assume you have opened a file between step 1 and 2 ??

Otherwise there’s nothing to save :smiley:

There still is an empty project to save, isn’t it?

Why on earth would you want to save nothingness??

It’s the same in any version.

Also the same in all my graphics apps. You can’t save nothingness…

For comparison: Audacity has this feature. You can open new audacity instance and save an empty project, right after opening.

I want this feature because when I start SC I know which project i’ll be working on. I can save file immediately accordingly and later on just need to do Ctrl + S whenever I make some changes.

Besides, it is non-intuitive for nothing to happen when you press a button in a software.

You can press Ctrl+s any save any time.
Open Shotcut, import a file, press Ctrl+s (or the save icon) and save your project. The only difference in that you imported a file, otherwise there is no difference between this and ‘what you want’.

I’d argue the opposite. There are lots of buttons in software that do nothing until it has function.
It’s stupid to want to save when there’s absolute nothing to save. It’s also pointless.
Perhaps Dan can change the default save button state to grey when Shotcut is first open (like most other apps).

There are lots of buttons in software that do nothing until it has function.

Can you give me one example from a well known software, for example Windows OS? i.e. a non-grayed out button that does nothing.

I can give you plenty, but why should I? I think I made the point well enough.
You cannot save with Shotcut until there is something to save. It’s easy to understand this I’m sure.

I’ll repeat what I said in my previous post:
If he thinks it’s worth taking the effort, perhaps Dan can change the default save button state to grey when Shotcut is first open (like most other apps).

Over and out.

Well I disagree on the point you’ve made. Let’s see what someone else has to say about this. (Btw thanks for your help in threads here otherwise!)

This is not a bug. This is a suggestion.
Either you can find faults, or you can just use the program the way it is and be happy.
Just my opinion, I’m happy the way Shotcut is, and the way it’s being updated.

1 Like

Why not both :slight_smile:

I will leave this code change as an exercise for a new developer or contributor. I have better things to work on myself.

It would be an excellent training: from my own experience, I can tell that grayed or invisible commands management requires a good knowledge of the whole software, unless you don’t care of getting inactive buttons when they are needed :smiley:
I think the OP wants to get a project name ASAP; I do a first save when the first clips of a project are loaded.