Can you help me please to get best possible export settings for youtube

Dear Team,

Problem : After exporting to youtube , the video clarity is hazzy its not clear as the original video

To stop guess work : here is the video shot on 1280x720hd video at 50fps Dropbox - gardining with riyan 4.MP4 - Simplify your life

Can you please download and help me screenshot of best shotcut export settings that would render as close technically possible to the original video …
pls see i am not looking for one time help to edit the video , i have give the link so that if you want a reference you can use it , what help i need is the screenshot of settings that i need to use or mention the settings video , codec and audio section that would render the video as close to original after editing

To clarify I am writing this to you after doing all home work i could , I went through all the previous post and and all youtube video . but the problem is same after upload to youtube my video clarity is bad . .
I followed all that people recommended lossles settings , h264 high profile settings, quality from 55 to hundred , average bit rate , constant bitrate , gop from 15 50 percent of fps to 300 . .All my hit and trail didn’t help.

Pls help to

1 Like

There are at least two reasons why the YouTube video looks clear. Firstly, this video resolution is p720, which in itself is quite low. Secondly, the YouTube platform itself compresses videos quite strongly. Even if you upload a video to YouTube with the highest possible quality, it will still be recoded and compressed. To ensure that your video on YouTube does not suffer so much from compression, there is one old proven trick - upload it in 4K format (you need to create a 4K project in shotcut).

In addition, immediately after the upload to YouTube completes, it only offers a low resolution version until more resolutions, bitrates, and codecs are done. You should ensure the resolution you export from Shotcut is at least as high as the source using Settings > Video Mode (not Export > Advanced > Video > Resolution).

Did you rotate your video to make it upright? Depending on how you did that it will lose clarity. For your video, I open it, change Properties > Video > Rotation to 90. Next, choose Settings > Video Mode > Automatic. Finally, I export using the default settings and upload to YouTube. How does this compare with what you experienced? (Immediately after upload this is only 135x240 resolution even though the export is 720x1280! Now, after several minutes I see a 720p50 option in the YouTube quality selector, which is a little misleading because YouTube’s “Stats for nerds” shows “720x1280@50.”)

Dear Sir ,Madam,

okay i am ready to export in 4k ,but then can you pls help me with the settings
What should be the value of frames /sec
what should be the bitrate value , should i use constant bitrate ?

Dear sir , Compared to the original the quality is still not par .
can you pls tell me what should be 4k export settings so that there is almost no distortion due to youtube compression i got that i need to use 4k but there are many sub settings
Can you pls advice what to select here .

I would be grateful for your any help on this

If you are going through YouTube it is impossible. They always recompress and lose quality. If you want to export in 4K, change the Video > Resolution to 3840x2160, do not change Frames/sec, change Interpolation to Lanczos. In Audio do not change anything. In Codec, you show “hdr.” That is not for HDR color. You cannot export as HDR color; Shotcut does not support that. I don’t know what the “hdr” codec is; I have never heard of it. Do not change it from the default of libx264. You can increase the quality to 65% if you want. I do not recommend higher than 80%.

1 Like

Thank you sir , i will try this and let you know
I have one question .what to do with

Gop value ? I am shooting video at fhd1080px , 25fps
So what should be the right gop value

Also , I am seeing that relatively low light video are suffering much more , i have heard in premere pro there is something called adding grain and render at max depth .
unfortunately i can’t afford paid ones

So do you advice using some similar things in shotcut
for . .adding grains (very negligient noise ) to deal with compression
and what is the near equivalent for rendering at max depth in shotcut ?

Also pls do let me know what should be th gop value .

All these question are aiming /targeting towards rendering best quality in youtube (compression loss of youtube management )

hello @miku

To answer your GOP question:

Under Video settings it says:

• 2 consecutive B frames
  • Closed GOP. GOP of half the frame rate.

Set B frames to 2, and GOP to 12.5. As far as I’m aware, this doesn’t affect quality but allows for better seeking using keyframes (more keyframes = bigger file size) so not a big deal.

The other stuff I don’t know much about. Not a direct answer to your question, but there are filters you might want to investigate, such as:

• contrast
  • brightness
  • hue/lightness/saturation
  • white balance
  • color grading

You may be able to improve some of those areas you are unhappy with, especially since color grading has options for midtones, shadows, and highlights.

Good luck!

1 Like

A good value for GOP is 5 times the frame rate. In this case, GOP would be 125. The longer GOP allows the file size to be smaller. The YouTube recommendations say half the frame rate, but this is unnecessary and offers no visible benefit to the audience on YouTube.

Adding grain to dark areas is a hack that only works for direct playback of the exported file. Grain may work against you when uploading to YouTube.

The idea behind grain is to add fake details that the codec will attempt to preserve, which should avoid big patchy dark areas. However, YouTube recompresses your video to a new constant bitrate file, and not a high bitrate at that. When YouTube sees that extra detail in the dark areas, it will either smear it away back to where you were so it can meet its bitrate cap, or it will try to preserve that grain by compromising something else in the frame, possibly making it look worse than it normally would. Adding grain usually only works for variable bitrate files or very high bitrate files, of which YouTube is neither.

Premiere can export 8-bit or 10-bit files. Shotcut can export 10-bit under certain conditions, but the filters used in your project may not allow for it. So Shotcut will likely render 8-bit and there is nothing further for you to tweak on that point. Also, YouTube will recompress your video down to 8-bit anyway. YouTube only sends 10-bit video to devices if HDR is involved, which Shotcut does not natively support.

Typically, 1440p is the threshold for getting the higher bitrate on YouTube. If your video is 16:9 aspect ratio, then 2560x1440 would be just as good as 3840x2160 in terms of looking better on YouTube. However, the slightly lower resolution would mean faster exports and smaller file sizes for your workflow.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.