Can More Speed Control Be Added In A Future Update?

In the Properties menu there is the option to control speed. It however only allows for a certain degree of control.

Currently it’s 1.00. Can one more zero be added at the end?

I have video and audio files that run on PAL speed (which is 4% faster) that I would like to convert to NTSC speed.

The difference in speed between the two is 4.096 which means it can’t currently be done in Shotcut since it only is 1.00. If there was on more zero added (i.e. 1.000) for more precise speed control then it would be perfect because then Shotcut would be able to do PAL speed to NTSC speed conversions in one program.

Can this please be considered and added for a future update?

Thanks. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You don’t want to change the speed. You want to change the frame rate. Shotcut will automatically convert the frame rate. Just be sure to select the desired video mode before you import the first file.

You don’t want to change the speed. You want to change the frame rate. Shotcut will automatically convert the frame rate.

No, it is the speed. Changing only the frame rate in Shotcut doesn’t change the speed. It’ll just take the same speed and have it run at the frame rate selected. The issue I asked about is speed because PAL speed (25fps) runs 4% faster than the actual proper speed of any video. Also, after I made this request an update was made to Shotcut to specifically add more control to the speed function as I requested by adding one more decimal: https://shotcut.org/blog/new-release-1708/

Increased Speed field precision to 3 decimal places.

Since then I have been able to convert many videos running on PAL speed to proper normal speeds and the conversions in both video and audio have been perfect. :slight_smile: You see, I first change the speed then in the export functions I adjust the frame rate. Both have to be done not just one for proper conversion.

And this also gives me a reminder to thank whoever it was who took my request in this thread and applied it to the very next Shotcut update. Thank you so much, whoever you are! :smile:

It might help if you give more detail about your situation. Where do you get these files that are 4.096x faster than normal speed?

The only time I have ever heard of PAL (25fps) media being “fast” is when it is converted from original 24fps film. Some conversion processes will run 24fps file at 1.04x speed to create 25fps PAL. Other than that, any PAL media that was originally produced at 25fps will already be at the correct speed.

If the thing you are trying to do is “undo” the 24fps film conversion which I described above, then the speed is 4% fast and you need to slow it down to 0.96x. Here is my suggested workflow to do that:

1. Set the video mode (Settings->Video Mode) in Shotcut to a 24fps mode. For example, “HD 1080p 24 fps”. Or create a custom video mode. Just make sure the video mode frame rate is 24fps.

2. Open the file you want to convert.

3. In the Properties panel, set the speed to 0.96x to slow down by 4%.

4. Encode the project - make sure the “Frames/sec” field is set to 24.000.

If your situation is different than what I describe above, then please provide a better explanation. Particularly, show the math explaining why you need 4.096x speed.

It might help if you give more detail about your situation.

As I have explained in my reply to you, the situation has already been remedied thanks to the August Shotcut update that added a decimal point to the speed control function. :slight_smile:

Where do you get these files that are 4.096x faster than normal speed?

PAL. Whether that be from PAL DVDs or even HD video files that run on PAL speed (25fps). PAL always runs 4% faster than proper speed.