Can I export to continue working in another program?

Hey everyone, happy Easter (if you celebrate)

I have been using shotcut for close to a year, and I make short music videos to put on my youtube channel (bit.ly/robworks1), and while I think it’s pretty great, I’m moving onto bigger projects, and shotcut isn’t able to handle all that I’m throwing at it. I would like to switch over to Premiere Pro, because it has more or less what I’m looking for to use. I have one project on the go in shotcut, and it’s only about half finished. Is it possible to change the save file format to work in a different software (Premiere Pro), or do I have to start from scratch?

Thanks

If the edits are simple and a bunch of filters aren’t applied yet, you may be able to do File > Export EDL and get Premiere to read it. I haven’t tried this personally, so YMMV, no guarantees.

If your edits are complete for the footage on the timeline so far, you have the additional option of exporting the project in an intermediate format like ProRes or DNxHR and then importing that video into Premiere as your start point. The quality loss is negligible… these are the same formats that studios use to shuffle footage around.

Thanks Austin

I tried using the EDL way, because I couldn’t get the other way to export. When I brought it in, it said that the media was offline (when I brought a clip to the timeline). I was wondering if anyone knows if there is any way to export to an XML file? (Shotcut saves MLT XML files as .mlt, is there any way to save as a regular .xml?)

Thanks

Media offline is a Premiere error about not being able to find the media (like a bad or modified path to the file). That isn’t usually a Shotcut export problem. As an extra precaution, try an export using the DNxHR HQ preset and verify that the file plays with a media player. It’s possible that Premiere may reject a ProRes file generated by FFmpeg or Windows. (Shotcut does not write the usually-expected “encoder” metadata field in the MOV headers during a ProRes export. DNxHR is much more lenient.)

As for the MLT, it’s already a regular XML file, but not in a format understood by most other editors. It could be transformed by XSLT into whatever format you like. But I’m not aware of anyone that’s written that transformation to common EDL formats yet.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.