Can I blur regions of screen?

Hi there everyone!

I’m trying to blur sensitive content in a video. The content doesn’t move so the blur function doesn’t need to be that smart.

Can I do this in Shotcut? If so, how would I go about doing it? I’m 11 editors into my attempt to get this feature and I’m awfully tired of installing and removing applications.

Thanks for your time!

Yes, Shotcut can do this.

Although it is based on an older version of Shotcut, watch this tutorial.

One thing that is different with the version of Shotcut in that tutorial and now (version 18.10.08) is that the location of the Composite option was changed. It used to be one of the icons on the head of the video track (the section where it would say V2) in the timeline. Now you have to select the head of the 2nd video track then hit the “Properties” tab. There you will see “Blend mode” with a drop down menu. Make sure that the 2nd video track has the “Over” option selected and not “None”. After that, follow the rest of the instructions in that video and see if it works for you. :slight_smile:

• V1: Original Clip
  • V2: Original Clip (again)
  • V2: Blur Filter (Adjust to how you like it)
  • V2: Mask Filter (Adjust to where you want the blur)

I blurred out this section.
2018-10-24_16-25-09

Shotcut 18.10.08 (64-bit)
Windows 10 Home

I figured out what I was doing wrong and it’s working a treat. I can’t thank you guys enough for the help. What a great editor!

1 Like

What did you have set wrong? It may help others.

Well, I’m still working my way through it but it seems that the order in which I had masked the segments pushed those further in the timeline on the same vid track down the timeline, causing my masks to be out of sync. I tried to pull them back in line but I was missing a couple so I just deleted them and rebuilt the masked segments in the proper order.

I imagine that this wouldn’t have been an issue if I had placed each segment on it’s own vid track but I had a lot of segments to work with and vertical real estate seems to be at a premium.

I’m exporting a new copy now but I think it’s sorted.

Vertical real estate is rather cheap. You can scroll the right slider on the timeline, or…

Push up right here.

More ways to manipulate the timeline window

Now you have more room.

Or you can break out the timeline, can even shove the timeline to another window (if you’re using more than one). Just grab where it says Timeline, hold & drag. Position the window wherever you would like.

Tracks too tall? CRTL -
Tracks too small? CRTL +

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.