Can An Option Be Created To Have Miliseconds on the Counter Instead of Frame Number?

Hello. :slight_smile:

I just got done doing a project on Shotcut. It took me two days and when I finally exported it I was completely surprised that in a bunch of my edits, fragments of the scenes that I thought I had cut out still remained. They don’t show up at all when I check in Shotcut and that includes playback in the Shotcut video. When I put the video through a separate splitter program that includes an option to have the counter go by Miliseconds rather than the Frame Number I saw all of the fragments clearly there.

Can there please be an option to have the time counter on Shotcut display Miliseconds so that we can do more precise editing and catch these errors if needed? I spent quite a lot of time on this and now the project is essentially useless because Shotcut could not detect those parts since going by Frame Number will skip them unlike having Miliseconds as an option.

Thanks in advance.

You can use keyboard arrows keys ◄ or â–ș to step through or back a frame at a time. Or use K+L for frame forward and J+K for frame back. Then press ‘S’ to slice. Seems to work just fine for me.

I keep this page handy :wink:

https://www.shotcut.org/howtos/keyboard-shortcuts/

Point I’m making is that unless you are shooting at 1,000 frames per second, ‘milliseconds’ would do you no good.

1 Like

No offense but your reply is of no use. You replied as if you didn’t read what I wrote at all.

Sorry, but I did read your post. Did you read my follow up post?

You first replied as if I don’t know how to edit on Shotcut even though I wrote a detailed account of an issue I encountered while editing an entire project that took me 2 days. You then follow that up with another reply telling me milliseconds are useless even though I explained why it is useful because of the problem I detailed that I encountered while editing a project on Shotcut that took me two days.

This is why it comes across as if you didn’t read what I wrote.

Please don’t get frustrated with me, we all come here to learn or try to help.
I’m sorry that you can’t see that I am trying to understand your issue and that I’m struggling to be helpful.

Please explain how millisecond precision can help when editing footage shot at 24/25/30/50/60 still images per second?

Read the first paragraph of my opening post.

Steve is correct. Shotcut only has frame precision. Changing the time counter display to use milliseconds instead of frames as the last field does not improve the precision; it is only a change in the way information is displayed. There are no plans to have finer precision.

Steve is correct. Shotcut only has frame precision.

I know that. That’s why I marked this thread in “Suggestions” so that in a future version a “Milliseconds” option can be created for the timer for those that want to use milliseconds instead of Frame Number.

Changing the time counter display to use milliseconds instead of frames as the last field does not improve the precision

That is simply not accurate as I have detailed in my OP, specifically, in the first paragraph.

So what you are implying is that ShotCut isn’t frame by frame accurate? IOW, it’s chopping a single frame in half leaving a fragment of that still in your video, is this right?

Correct. Having a milliseconds option would remedy that.

Which version are you using? I haven’t come across this problem.
Does your project frame rate match the source?

[quote=“Steve_Ledger, post:13, topic:796, full:true”]
Which version are you using?[/quote]

The latest one.

Yes.

To my understanding, you can only cut between frames, so if your project is 24 fps you only get 24 possible cut points pr. sec. so cutting in ms doesn’t make sense.

That said, I have experienced that the cut points in a sequence played from the time line didn’t match the exported version(cuts on cuts in the source material moved so the removed part became visible - a matter of 1 or 2 frames). However I did not check the codec of the source material. So can you paste mediainfo on your source material here? (Source material with variable frame rates or few i-frames may lead to unprecision in editing.)

Another way to check if this is codec related, is to convert your source material to Prores and swap it with the material in your source folder, make a new export and see if there still is that unprecision.

Interesting topic. As a side note, not solving the thread’s question, but on the topic of sub-frame precision: As far as I know Sony Vegas (now MAGIX) has sample based editing, because it was basically an audio editor at first that got video capabilities. This is why some people use it, to do “musical” edits that require audio-level control.

It would be great to have this feature.

At the moment I need to sync audio to video, and in my workflow I need to see the milliseconds of the video.

right now I use ffplay
 I would love to use shotcut

It is not a question of precision or frames v.s. milliseconds. It would allow a more versatile usage of your tool.

1 Like