BETA 2 version 23.09 now available to test

Changes Since Last Beta

• Fixed some memory leaks and random crashes due to memory management.
  • Fixed overall speed of loading projects and editing that degraded in 2023 versions.
    (Existing projects must be saved after opening to upgrade them to benefit loading speed.)
  • Changed Export > Presets > audio > FLAC to (raw) flac format instead of Matroska.
  • Upgraded Glaxnimate to version 0.5.4 with limited support for After Effects projects
    (no plugins and no video or audio media - drawing and image animations only).
  • Fixed some usability quirks with drag-n-drop and Ctrl multiple selection in the Playist > Icons view.
  • New and improved installer for Windows.

Read the full release notes on the download page if you are new to this beta:

3 Likes

I haven’t find time to test the new GPS text variables in the previous beta til today, unfortunately I still see the former variable list, same in 23.09 beta 2. Could I have missed something to clean before testing a beta ?

That is due to a minor build problem that is fixed for release. You can fix it in your install by renaming Shotcut\share\mlt\qt6 to qt.

1 Like

Ok ! Got it in Contents\Resources\mlt (MacOS), I confirm the new variables are now available :slight_smile:

1 Like

Window 10

In the Released notes you mention:

Fixed overall speed of loading projects and editing that degraded in 2023 versions.
(Existing projects must be saved after opening to upgrade them to benefit loading speed.)

Although I didn’t notice a big difference when loading a project, it made a huge one when dragging a clip from the Playlist.

But this improvement only works (for me) when dragging a clip.
If I select a clip from the Playlist and use Append, Overwrite or Paste to move it to the Timeline, that operation still take at least 5 or 6 seconds, and sometimes up to almost 10 seconds.
Dragging a file from a folder and overwriting it in the Timeline also takes a lot of time.

In v22.12.21, those operations would take at most 1 second.

ALSO

If I compare with version 22.12.21, selecting something (a clip or a gap) in the Timeline takes a lot more time in v23.09.12. This is not new, it started in the first 23.09 version.

Architectural changes were made in v23.05 to address the audio crackling problems that many people reported for years caused this decrease in speed. First thing addressed was in resampling audio not in the export rate (default 48 KHz). Then, all of the new audio filters introduced this year also relies on it.

Not every edit action is going to be as fast as version 22.12. Sorry, I did not compare everything and not with v22.12 when writing that. I will change the wording in the notes for the release. I was comparing with version 23.07 and noting an improvement mainly in opening a newly saved project, splitting, undoing, and redoing the splits. With that said, I do not think I have as poor of performance as you show on any of my systems. Some things still depend on how fast media can be opened and decode the first frame. In version 22.12 that was usually not necessary, but the changes started incurring that penalty, and we have been trying to find and patch them. We might find some more that are low risk.

1 Like

@MusicalBox
Of course, I don’t know what equipment you have; any of my versions (old 221221, current 230729 and beta 230912) do not have such performance problems. I haven’t tested them on windows (I hate windows, excuse me), but they’re fine on linux.

p.s. To my chagrin, I still can’t see the old way of choosing colors. The Gnome window does not allow you to use the eyedropper, which is very often needed.

I do not reproduce this. It depends on the GNOME_SHELL_SESSION_MODE being set to use the old one. Maybe your login screen is not the GNOME session manager or some other bug on your system or in GNOME. The next most popular desktop environment is KDE whose color dialog is basically the same as Qt. I will make it always use Qt’s on Linux.

I use the fairly popular Linux distribution Mint 21.2 with the Cinnamon desktop environment, which is based on Gnome 3, according to Wikipedia. I see a new commit, I will definitely check its functionality.

1 Like

I don’t have the faster computer. But I think I’m well over the minimum requirements.
When exporting (and with other apps running), every time I checked, the memory usage never raise far above 60% and the CPU usage raise to about 65%

Maybe there is something else that affect the editing performances on my computer. I know other Windows users (with somewhat comparable systems) that don’t have the same issue.

crashpad_handler.exe ?!?! Shotcut does not include that, and I am wary of Windows third party so-called system hooks.

It appears that crashpad_handler.exe is an error handler associated with Google Drive and other apps. I turned off Google Drive and it appears Shotcut is again working fine.

For me, crashpad_handler.exe appears in the Shotcut task when I export a video, even if Google Drive is turned off. And it stays there after the job is done.

I uninstalled Google Drive and I don’t see crashpad_handler.exe anymore in Shotcut’s task. It didn’t seem to cause any major problems though (like the one described in the GitHub issue report). I see no difference now that it is gone.

OK, thanks for trying that. Regarding that person’s experience, as we say: correlation is not causation. Or, for that person, it could have been with Drive combined with something else unknown.

1 Like

This has been improved for the release.

I downloaded and tested the latest action, but to my chagrin, everything is unchanged.

The change is in version 23.09.16, but you downloaded too soon and got .15

1 Like

You’re right, I was in a hurry. I just downloaded a new “action” with version 16 and there is already a normal color selection window with a working eyedropper. Thanks for this fix.