Best New Computer for Video Editing under $3,000 USD

Ah, good point. I was thinking that the Z390 motherboards would only support 8th and 9th generation Intel CPUs because the next generation seems like it would be different and Intel has a history of only supporting 2 generations per motherboard.

But it makes sense to spend extra on a Z390 motherboard because I know it will support the 8th & 9th generation CPUs and MAY support 10th and/or beyond. Plus I’d get all the new features of the latest boards. Lastly, motherboards are one of the cheaper components so it’s not a real cost savings to go with an older board.

Thank you!

How do you enable and disable them?

Not to complicate things, but I’ve also been considering an AMD CPU. The only reason is that AMD isn’t vulnerable to Spectre and Meltdown. Have not done full research yet but it seems some hardware fixes are in the 9th generation (not the 8th generation CPU I want to get) and the software fixes for Windows can potentially slow down the CPU significantly.

Anyone else favoring AMD or is this vulnerability a non-issue?

As far as I know spectre and meltdown affects AMD and Intel. And all motherboard manufacturers have released bios updates. Twit tv has covered a lot on this issue

The vulnerabilities differ between AMD and Intel.

On top of what @Hudson555x said about spectre/meltdown affecting everyone the actual threat is overblown regarding what could be done, unless you’re allowing a third party direct access to your hardware(such as a hosted VM) the threat is minimal at best.
NVENC and QSV have to be explicitly selected at export time by changing the codec

Just took a quick look. You’re right. Although that sucks, it’s good news because it means I don’t need switch gears and start researching AMD. Thanks @Hudson555x!

The i7-8700K has 6 cores (but with 12 threads). Not 12 cores.

I’m now back to considering an i9 9th generation CPU.

Focusing on the i9-9900K which is a 3.6GHz 8-core/16-thread CPU for $488 that should be out this month. That isn’t much more expensive than an i7-8700K!

Then I could upgrade later to a i9-9920X with 3.5GHz 12-core/24-thread CPU. It is due out in November this year and is expected to be over twice the price of the i9-9900K ($1,189). Seems a good path for upgrade in a few years when the price drops, assuming it works with my motherboard.

Quiet?
Make a hole in the wall and put the computer on the other side, if possible.
Pro: No need for watercooling, less prone to defects.
Pro: You don’t have to tune the fans to silent, tune them for better cooling. Don’t forget to cool HDDs SSDs as well.
For the rest: Have fun selecting (in other words: I am out of time for writing)!

The i9-9900k and i9-9920x use different sockets and chipsets
The i9-9900k will use Z370/Z390, currently these platforms are limited to 64gb ram and more importantly for someone who has mentioned two or more NVME devices 16 pcie lanes directly from the cpu(plus 20 from the chipset that are linked to the cpu over a pcie x4 link called DMI 3.0) there are rumors of the memory limit increasing howver
The i9-9920x uses the x299 chipset and is currently limited to 128Gb ram but has 44 PCIe lanes directly from the cpu and an additional 24 from the chipset(also using that pcie x4 link of DMI 3.0) as with Z370/Z390 there are rumors of an increase in that memory limit coming with new module types. However a signifigant warning is that not all HEDT chips have all 44 PCIe lanes, the cheapest have a mere 16 lanes, followed by 28 lane chips and it isn’t till you cross 1k per cpu that you see the full 44 lanes.
On another note the RTX 2070 is available today, and apparently some software is capable of using the new tensor cores already https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Are-the-NVIDIA-RTX-video-cards-good-for-video-editing-1245/

You’re right! Boy this learning curve is steep. Guess a lot has happened with hardware in the last 9 years!

I look at these X chips as a different generation of CPUs that don’t properly follow the previous generational naming conventions established by Intel. Gotta love marketing.

I’m now just starting to learn about the PCIe lanes (CPU vs Chipset). Very interesting. And you’re right again, I’ll need to make sure the CPU and the motherboard can accommodate at least 2 NVMe SSD hard drives (one for OS and one for scratch). Though it seems I would be focused on the chipset PCIe lanes because those are used for SSDs and hard drives. The CPU PCIe lanes are reserved for the GPU.

I think I’m going to go for the i9-9900K because I just don’t want to wait until the X CPUs come out. Let’s face it, anything I get will be a huge upgrade. I just don’t want to have to upgrade again in a short period of time.

May I suggest learning how to use GNU/Linux with something like Mint as the distro.

• Super supportive community.
  • Shotcut is developed primarily on Linux (as far as I know)
  • Super stable
  • Libre software! No built-in spyware
  • It’s not 2005 anymore, installation is easy
  • If you are building from scratch you can research componentry to make sure you are good to go!
  • There is zero advantages to Windows 10 and arguably multiple disadvantages to using it over Linux

The 9900K will should be a solid choice, obviously the proof will come in the next week or two as the benchmarks come in but even with an IPC(Instructions per clock) gain of 0(unlikely although they’re both coffee lake so it will be small) over the older i7-8700k it has a 100mhz slower base clock and a 300mhz higher turbo with two more core it should shake out to be a net gain.
Regarding the lanes the issue with chip set lanes is that they only communicate with the cpu over a 4x link so although they “exist” if you saturate too many at once you stop seeing gains, unless you’re going past 2 NVMe ssd’s and pushing them to their limits however it’s unlikely you’ll see this and there are ways to work with/around it and connect the ssd’s to cpu lanes instead depending on the exact board you’re looking at.
Also, RTX 2070 benchmarks are out today it’s looking like a fantastic card but stick to blower coolers.

@independent we’re discussing hardware here not software there are advantages to both windows and linux in both the professional and consumer worlds and as someone who works with both in both capacities I’d be more than happy to discuss them elsewhere and not derail this thread.

@D_S

I wouldn’t have mentioned it if it wasn’t there in the first post

It’s entirely relevant should the OP consider it a valid option.

I wasn’t sure if SSDs connect to the CPU or the Chipset but now I see that it depends on the motherboard si I need to get one that works best for my configuration.

Thanks but I’m sticking with WinDoze for now. I know it isn’t great but I have too much Windows software home and work. Plus I cannot learn a new OS right now.

The numbers are in! the 9900k is no slouch for rendering it seems
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13400/intel-9th-gen-core-i9-9900k-i7-9700k-i5-9600k-review/6
The same applies to encoding
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13400/intel-9th-gen-core-i9-9900k-i7-9700k-i5-9600k-review/8
Other than a few benchmarks that seem to prefer HT off(where it trades blows with the i7-9700k) it seems to do very well unless the benchmark wants more AVX resources than it can offer(which the HEDT chips excel at)

It looks like the guys at puget systems were busy yesterday, these are just a few of the tests they did

Thanks. I’ve been doing a lot of reading, trying to decide what to get for myself.

I’ve toyed with the idea of waiting for the X series but I really don’t want to wait any longer, especially since the release dates are unknown and the price tags seem multiples higher for less real world benefit (at least for my uses).

So I’m working on a i9-9900K build. I want a motherboard with heatsinks over the M.2 slots because I plan on using 2 of them. Don’t need U.2. Also want it to be silent.

So many choices…

Yes there’s a lot of choices although I’d really focus on the things you want that can’t be added on.
M.2 slots are going to be plentiful, a quick peek on newegg shows over 100 different boards with at least 2 m.2 slots and m.2 heat sinks an be purchased separately all the way from simple https://amzn.to/2R3espT to massive https://amzn.to/2PKyDZB or even with a fan https://amzn.to/2PFlwsu.
Look for intel network cards I’ve had miserable experiences with both realtek and “killer” cards
Some boards will have built in wifi if that’s a feature you want
Others will offer 10GBe as well at this point
Keep an eye on the audio codec not all are created equal and if you plan to record audio it’s worth looking at.
Some boards share resources between the m.2 slots and SATA ports, make sure you’ll have enough sata for any drives you plan on using.
Other things to keep an eye out for, do you want a ps2 port still(I do but to each their own) how many usb ports and what type do you need(type C or A how many 2.0/3,0/3.1 ect)

Thanks again @D_S

Since there are only 16 CPU PCIe lanes and I intend to get a video card (maybe a 1080ti), I’m relegated to the Chipset PCIe lanes for the NVME SSDs. No reason to get an adapter card to use M.2s on the CPU PCIe lane (I believe you alluded to this option earlier) because that would slow the video card for very little real world speed gain for the SSDs.

And like you said, most z390s have at least two M.2 slots (I don’t need U.2). So I’m not too picky about the board. Also, NO intention to overclock anything.

Actually thinking of getting a microATX case because they take up less space. I believe these are all the current Z390 mATX boards that have 4 DIMM RAM slots (a must for me):

• ASRock Z390M Pro4
  • GIGABYTE Z390M Gaming
  • MSI MPG Z390M Gaming Edge AC
  • MSI MAG Z390M Mortar
  • ASUS TUF Z390M-Pro Gaming LGA1151

Any preference of these? Seems like reviews are still coming in.

Any recco for a microATX case that can run almost silent but with decent cooling?

I care nothing about the looks and will not be doing RGB or any other lighting. Figure it would need to accommodate large (140mm or more) fans to run quiet and dust filters are a plus.

Mounting the SSD in a slot and bringing your gpu down to pcie 8x isn’t going to hurt it any(also why a 1080ti? at those prices I’d jump for an rtx 2080 it’ll perform as well if not better in the future as those tensor cores start to do things) TPU did testing on the 1080 back in 2016 and found that anything down to pcie 3.0 4x wasn’t really hurting the gpu

(Tests like this are why I’m still comfortable on a pcie 2.0 board for now…) but you’re right about the gain on the ssd’s unless you intend to fully load the ssd’s simultaniously you’re not going to see much difference chipset or cpu lane for the current hardware.

Out of that batch of boards I’d personally lean towards the Asus, it’s packing the best wifi chipset as well as higher end audio than the rest(save for the MSI which has the same) I’ve had issues with gigabyte boards and tend to avoid them wholesale
Regarding cases, if you’re going to go with a liquid loop nanoxias deepcool cases are generally good, I can’t say much else on that though most of my cases are rackmount

Haven’t started researching Graphics Cards yet. Will consider the 2080 instead.

Not sure what nanoxias means but I’m no longer looking to use liquid cooling based on posts from you and @Hudson555x. Fans for me.

Grammer bit me should have been 's nanoxia makes cases for liquid cooling http://nanoxia-world.com/en/
As for what case I’d get if I wasn’t worried about that? I’m a bit old school and like having front bays for things and I’ve always had a soft spot for these stacking cases https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8EF5UF1729
Regarding why the front bays? I like things like this https://amzn.to/2NXMKck But I tend to use my PC to work on other systems(and like hdd’s as cold offline storage) I’d skip the card readers at this point though you’re better off with things like the lexar workflow for that.