Best New Computer for Video Editing under $3,000 USD

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep 'em coming!

@D_S - Appreciate the info but the more research I’ve been doing has me focusing on:

• CPU - Non-server PC single CPU with multiple cores
  • GPU - single, not SLI
  • RAM - 32-64 GB RAM in 4-8 DIMM Slots
  • Cooling - Liquid cooling for CPU as I want this machine to be quiet

@Hudson555x - I used to love NewEgg! They were my go-to merchant when I built my old desktop back in 2005. But in the past few years their return policy and customer service has tanked, even if you pay for their version of Prime. Really a shame.

If that’s the case I would wait a month right now. The new i9-9900k just launched and we’ll surely see some benchmarks between it, ryzen and threadripper 2 and there will be price adjustments as well as general availability of more RTX cards.
Single GPU is definitely the way to go, the rule is usually the fastest single card you can afford, some stuff can scale to multi gpu but you’re better off with 1 big card than 2 smaller ones in most cases
4 slots is the limit of “consumer” platforms that’s Z370/390 for intel and X470 for ryzen from AMD, Intel consumer memory controllers cap out at 64GB the same for AMD
8 slots(or more) will be found on “prosumer” platforms this means X299 from intel and X399 from AMD(good naming guys…) In theory AMD has an advantage here with “1TB” memory support on threadripper where intel is limited to 128Gb however from a practical standpoint currently shipping modules limit them both to 128Gb
Liquid is “nice” but it’s not really quiet by default, a large standard heatsink can do just as well as a liquid cooler, sound is caused by the fans which liquid simply moves them to the radiator(and occasionally uses 2-3smaller louder fans on cheap AIO coolers), you’ll want to look for coolers for the platform you pick and there’s some good reviews on just how loud they are.

I also agree with @D_S, that you don’t need to have liquid cooled CPU, and over an extended period of time, the temperature difference is not that much more than a larger heatsink with fans. But there are still fans involved with any cooling. And great motherboard software will detect when the CPU is heating up and it will ramp up the fans to meet the demand to keep it cool. There are serious debates about liquid cooling, even among how the fans are ported. I spent near 6 months learning all of the new technology before investing. Watched a lot of videos benchmarks, comparisons, etc. What I built works for me, and so far has not failed me on video editing, which I didn’t intend on doing any video editing when I built it.

Before you buy any motherboard, I would read it’s entire user manual before you buy. You can get them from any support site associated with that company. Know what your mobo, can and can’t do. If you do go with a larger heatsink, make sure you have enough clearance in your case. Yes, you’ll have to consider all measurements.

A MONTH! I want it NOW!
But seriously, I expect I would get a low-end Intel i-9 with an eye to upgrading the CPU later. Also still considering an AMD CPU. People say it’s more bang for your buck but I need to see benchmarks with editing software. Lots of fanboys on either side so hard to discern fact from fiction.

I’d also probably only fill 4 of 8 RAM slots for upgrading later.

Really? I cannot imagine how a water cooled CPU would be just as loud as a fan cooled CPU. I need to look into that.

Thanks. I tend to over-do my research so no worries there.

Regarding the benchmarks although they’re not using shotcut puget systems does some excellent work benchmarking various things this premier pro article being a perfect example

Regarding the noise question this is a good example of a review(with a few other AIO coolers as comparisons)

And this is an air cooler(different site toms hadn’t covered the 212) the review is a few years old but the 212 is still a very popular cooler
https://www.anandtech.com/show/2366/5

Between the two at max fan the AIO liquid cooler is making more noise than the more conventional tower cooler. Now that all needs to be measured based on actual cooling performance and there are other examples that are quieter or louder in both camps but It highlights that an AIO loop isn’t a magic solution. Keep in mind that good thermal paste helps too, personally I’m a huge fan of the thermal grizzly kryonaut it’s fantastic stuff and can save you a few degrees over the cheap stuff if properly used https://amzn.to/2yyxkFv

Greetings all,

This thread is very eye-opening to me, so I’d like to contribute my findings and learn how other people are taking advantage of some of the hardware recommended on here.

Most importantly to the OP, what program are you using to edit your videos? This is a Shotcut forum, but only a few of the hardware suggestions make sense to me based on my experience with Shotcut over nearly two years of heavy usage. Here are my findings so far:

CPU - With Premiere, “the more cores the better” is the mantra. With DaVinci Resolve, there is diminishing returns on CPU power because so much work is done in GPU. With Shotcut, I have never seen it utilize more than 8 cores at once (I suspect the compositor is somehow limited to 8 threads for multi-track projects), so my goal has been to find the fastest 8 cores I can get. My fastest render times have been on an i7-7700K because it has 8 cores at 4.2 GHz, the fastest cores available at the moment. The same project on a 16-core 2.4 GHz dual Xeon computer took twice as long to export because only 8 of the 16 cores were used and they’re half the speed of the i7-7700K. I’ve tested this theory across Linux and Windows 64-bit on a wide variety of personal and corporate hardware, plus a variety of export codecs (as in, the deblocking filter of H.264 is not the thread limiter). My favorite processor, however, is the 12-core i7-8700K. It’s a minimal drop in GHz (none if you do a slight overclock), but it gives you 4 extra cores to run other programs while Shotcut chews up 8 cores exporting in the background. I also love the i7-6/7/8700K because they have the Intel Quick Sync instruction set (the Xeons and AMD processors do not). If you want a speed boost for previews and experiments, encode with QSV. You don’t need to buy a GPU for NVENC if you have QSV. I still revert to pure CPU for the final export (delivery).

RAM - For 4K video, Resolve is unlikely to use more than 32 GB of RAM. As for Shotcut, I have a Linux box with 24 GB of RAM that renders multi-track 4K videos without ever hitting the page file. 16 GB is the minimum for 4K. I would recommend 32 GB to be safe, and anything beyond that will only be productively used if you run additional programs during an export. Processor choice also has an effect on RAM. If you have 2+ sockets, you now have a NUMA topology and your RAM is likely to get split evenly between sockets. So if you have 32 GB of RAM and 2 CPU sockets, there will be 16 GB of RAM linked to each NUMA node (CPU socket). Whenever a processor needs data that’s in memory belonging to another socket, there is a cross-socket overhead in transferring that data between nodes. It adds latency to a memory fetch. You will get faster access having a single processor that has direct and exclusive access to all the RAM. The usual case for multiple sockets is if you’re using Premiere (or some other NUMA-aware editor) and have enough cores to outrun the latency and enough RAM to minimize the need for cross-node transfers (“go big or go home”). The other multi-socket scenario is if you’re running Xeons because ECC memory is a studio requirement. The disaster scenario is running a non-NUMA-aware editor like Shotcut on a multi-socket computer where all the RAM and threads can’t be allocated to a single CPU. Fetching memory from a different node can cause up to a 20% performance drag.

GPU - This is where your choice of editor really matters. If you’re running Resolve, then a 1080 Ti is the price of admission and you go on with life, end of story. If you’re running Edius, then Quick Sync or a GPU makes a huge difference for preview. But if you’re running Shotcut, I’m genuinely wondering what people are doing that would harness even a percentage of a 1080 Ti’s power. Shotcut has long maintained that GPU acceleration is an experimental feature, and I can vouch that it’s a bad idea for serious production work. Weird stuff will happen and there’s no trivial way to “downgrade” an MLT project from GPU to non-GPU. Re-creating your project as non-GPU will delay any deadlines you have. So I never have GPU acceleration turned on for export. This also decreases the chance of cross-platform compatibility issues if you render on both Linux and Windows in your environment. However, the Shotcut UI still uses GPU acceleration to draw its screens. On the aforementioned i7-7700K with built-in Intel HD Graphics 630 GPU on Windows 10 64-bit, I have never seen the GPU usage go above 40% unless lots of color grading is involved. Why spend hundreds of dollars on a GPU if the built-in graphics can handle it? If you’re running a 3D modeler or other software, that makes sense. But for Shotcut alone, I love the i7-6/7/8700K because it saves the cost of an additional video card for simple projects.

Cooling - Everyone has an opinion and I respect that, but my very strong preference is for air cooling. When I build a computer, I want it to run continuously and silently, unmodified, for 10 years minimum. (In my collection is a 10-year-old HP Z600 workstation that renders Shotcut videos in 4K using a home-grown proxy process for editing, and it still works great.) Water cooling has potential to be louder than air cooling depending on the pump and fans. Tubes are difficult to install if you’re new to it. AIO units are easier but the tubes still deteriorate with heat and must be replaced or they will leak. With an i7-8700K and a Noctua NH-D15S, all that’s needed is compressed air to kick out the dust bunnies every year and you’re good to go. And it’s silent, which is critical when doing an audio mix. A big case with unobstructed airflow helps a lot. I’ve had great success with the Fractal Design R5 case.

Storage - Since you are using a cell phone as your video source, your files will probably be compressed with H.264/265. It is extremely unlikely that your processor can chew through that video fast enough to saturate a magnetic HDD’s throughput. If you were editing CinemaDNG, then yes, going to RAID or SSD or NVMe makes sense. But for H.264 video, you can get way more TB-per-dollar by getting magnetic storage over SSD. I have even edited projects with H.264 media on an external USB3 drive and the drive was nowhere close to being the system bottleneck. So, this is where you can choose among other priorities since speed isn’t an issue for a media drive (when Shotcut is involved at least – Resolve is a different story). For instance, you might still choose SSD if you need shock tolerance, magnetic resistance, or absolute silence. Some notes here… if you’re using Linux, the drive will need to support TLER, typically meaning datacenter or enterprise-class drives. Enterprise drives to me are the way to go anyway because they have higher MTBF and won’t choke your throughput in the name of saving power like consumer drives may do. WD Gold is an option, but those are too loud for my liking. WD Re is an older drive, but capable and quiet. As for OS and scratch drives (if using Resolve), I go straight for NVMe over SSD. The price difference at 250 GB is negligible but the performance boost is noticeable. The 10-year-old Z600 workstation I mentioned earlier has OS on NVMe and boots in four seconds to Linux Mint 18.3. On the occasion that Shotcut crashes, an instantaneous restart is a massive sanity saver. Plus, NVMe means two less cables cluttering the inside of my case and blocking airflow. The convenience and sleekness has a wow factor when you actually try it.

OS - If you go the single-chip route with 128 GB or less of RAM, you only need Windows 10 Home. Only you can determine if the Pro version is worth the extra $80.

Now that I’ve shared my specs, here’s my experience. I haven’t found any hardware configuration for Shotcut that will preview native 4K compressed video without epic lag. It’s like streaming a movie over a dial-up connection. Glitch city. I am not criticizing Shotcut – I am pointing out how massive 4K video is from a computational standpoint. To get around this, we use a custom process to transcode 4K videos to 480x270 all-intra proxies, do the editing on the proxies, then swap back to the 4K videos for the final export. This has worked great for us and we love Shotcut for the luxury of pre-compiling proxies outside of Shotcut to our own spec.

All that to say, if Shotcut is your editor of choice, your fastest and most useful computer in my experience will be an i7-8700K with air cooling and no extra GPUs unless you’re heavy on the color grades. If you source it carefully, this box will only cost you $1,500. With the other half of your $3,000 budget, you could buy a Panasonic G85 camera with Olympus 60mm f2.8 Macro lens and have THE BEST electronics and soldering close-up videos on the whole Internet. Seriously. I’ve sourced hundreds of hours of video from a G85. It’s practically unbeatable at its price.

So, that’s been my experience. Hopefully something in there is applicable and useful to your situation. What about everyone else? Has anyone found improvements in export times or reduced their preview lag by using Threadripper or high-end GPUs? What is the actual GPU percent used on your projects? Has anyone else noticed the 8-core limit during export, or is something about my configuration limiting Shotcut? We use Hyper/Lanczos as the export scaler, but that doesn’t seem to be the bottleneck either. I’d love to break through this barrier if possible.

All the best to you, and good luck with your videos. They sound interesting.

4 Likes

CPU
Shotcut can and will scale past 8 cores, it does depend on the filters you use and the codec in question, below is a screenshot of the fire escape benchmark in x264 mode, I’m a touch on the storage bound side but it’s making the most of 24 threads, codecs like AVCHD are stuck at single thread though thus my suggestion of e5-2667 v2 which is 8c16t and up to 4ghz, a balance of both worlds with a pair of those

RAM
Qmelt in my experience rarely needs more than 8gb ram for exports however more can be used by the gui and some gpu’s will page in/out of system memory as well, I suggest paying attention to the cpu’s channel count and aiming for 32+ due to the low cost on used workstations(and their tendancy to use quad/triple channel memory means less than 32 might not fill all the channels) Numa awareness can be avoided using SMP settings in the bios to simply abstract it away from the cpu
GPU
The suggestion for a gpu comes down to the screen choice as much as the editor, since gpu’s like the 7700k use system memory for their ram they can slow down a lot on 4k panels or in multi monitor scenarios, throw some games into the mix(which I imagine he plans to based on this old system) and something like an RTX 2070 would be the suggestion when it’s available
Cooling
I agree with you here, my T7500 is air cooled and rarely breaks a sweat even at full load
Storage
With 2TB ssd’s below 300 there’s little reason to not build even a sata working space and use magnetic storage for archival and a small nvme ssd as a boot device, plus with 4k cameras below 300 as well the phone may not be his source of video for ever(I personally own this camera and wrote the review here https://www.pocketables.com/2018/07/z-camera-e1-the-b-roll-bombshell.html )
OS
With pro offering additional features such as hyper-v and remote desktop hosts it generally works out as a better os(but I’m an IT admin and use those even at home so…)

And on a closing note 4k previews work fine on my desktop, but it’s dual x5690 xeons with a 660Ti(I need a new gpu) he could probably get the E1 with a decent lens with the parts he’s considering as well as an audio solution(like an H4n from zoom or a tascam 44 model) if he needs it

OK, keep in mind that last time I did a deep dive on this stuff was 9 years ago when I bought my laptop.

TBH TIL that Intel CPU generations are denoted in the second number divided by 1,000. I always thought the first ‘i’ number mattered most. Now I see why my 9 year old Core i7-920 was so slow, it’s basically pre-generation 1 of Intel’s ‘i Core’ CPU line!

So I’m still playing catching up. Everyone’s detailed input has been awesome and is helping me up the curve!

Now that I’ve got a better idea on the Intel CPU landscape, I see why waiting totally makes sense.

Thought about upgrading my current PC to more RAM to tide me over but I’m maxed out at 12GB (3x4GB).

Given that the 9th generation Intel CPU chip benchmark embargo lifts and they also start selling them on October 19th at 9am Eastern Time, I’d be crazy to get a new PC now.

Even if I want to go for an 8th generation (because the motherboards will support an upgrade to 9th generation) the prices on those chips and boards should start dropping after Oct 19th.

FYI, I would be mainly using Shotcut for editing but I may check out Davinci Resolve or Adobe (shudder). I also use Photoshop for pictures and may play some games. Multitasking while encoding would be desirable, too.

Would also probably get 2 M.2 or U.2 SSD drives (one for OS/programs and one for scratch) and then use a large regular HD for storage.

When do you think we’ll hit the sweet spot will be for buying an 8th generation build?

Blockquote
Would also probably get 2 M.2 or U.2 SSD drives (one for OS/programs and one for scratch) and then use a large regular HD for storage.

If you plan on going for a multi SSD pcie array you should look towards AMD threadripper or HEDT from intel. Both of those platforms have far more PCIe available for storage and avoid limitations of the DMI design for multi ssd arrays on intels consumer platform. Personally I’d lean towards the asrock Tachi series boards(available for both platforms with similar conveniently) either way avoid realtek and killer networking i’ve seen nothing but issues from it.

Blockquote
FYI, I would be mainly using Shotcut for editing but I may check out Davinci Resolve or Adobe (shudder). I also use Photoshop for pictures and may play some games. Multitasking while encoding would be desirable, too.

Definitely check out the puget systems articles I linked then, most of their stuff is adobe focused for video work but it’s an excellent starting point.

I’m leaning towards the Intel i7-8700K CPU because I can get a Z370 motherboard (looking at the Asrock Taichi board reccomended by @D_S) which will support an upgrade to a 9th generation CPU later on. Plus those boards are new enough to have current features but have been out long enough to have plenty of benchmarks and reviews for research.

I looked up NVENC. Seems like software implementation is spotty, similar to SLI.

How do you encode with QSV? I didn’t see that option in Shotcut. Or do you mean convert the source videos using QSV (e.g., with Handbrake) and then load them into Shotcut and encode the final render as normal?

The Z390 will also enable an i7-8700 to i9-9900k upgrade and I would recomend that as the Z370 is no different(outside of the cpu power delivery) than Z270 and all the new features(like native 10GB usb) are part of the new 390 chipset. We’ll see the full reveal of the 9xxx chips and z390 later this week, depending on the savings “upgrading” down the road might not be a worthwhile investment(why save 50-100 now to have a cpu with no where to live next year and spend it again on a mainboard?)

Regarding NVENC and QSV they’re hardware accelerated encoders, shotcut supports QSV on windows as of 18.10 however the files delivered are much larger(1.75gb vs 294mb on a 10 minute clip) and only gained me ~25%(6 minutes vs 8) on the export. NVENC would be better as the nvidia encoder is more flexible but not as good as cpu as far as quality is concerned.(I ran this test with an i5-7600K on windows 10 pro and a samsung 840 pro)

On the note of “editing formats” I’ve been playing with HuffYUV since @shotcut called attention to it in another thread, it works wonderfully but the files can be quite large, at 1080P30 I’m seeing a ~28GB file size typically I haven’t tried it for anything 4k yet.

Ah, good point. I was thinking that the Z390 motherboards would only support 8th and 9th generation Intel CPUs because the next generation seems like it would be different and Intel has a history of only supporting 2 generations per motherboard.

But it makes sense to spend extra on a Z390 motherboard because I know it will support the 8th & 9th generation CPUs and MAY support 10th and/or beyond. Plus I’d get all the new features of the latest boards. Lastly, motherboards are one of the cheaper components so it’s not a real cost savings to go with an older board.

Thank you!

How do you enable and disable them?

Not to complicate things, but I’ve also been considering an AMD CPU. The only reason is that AMD isn’t vulnerable to Spectre and Meltdown. Have not done full research yet but it seems some hardware fixes are in the 9th generation (not the 8th generation CPU I want to get) and the software fixes for Windows can potentially slow down the CPU significantly.

Anyone else favoring AMD or is this vulnerability a non-issue?

As far as I know spectre and meltdown affects AMD and Intel. And all motherboard manufacturers have released bios updates. Twit tv has covered a lot on this issue

The vulnerabilities differ between AMD and Intel.

On top of what @Hudson555x said about spectre/meltdown affecting everyone the actual threat is overblown regarding what could be done, unless you’re allowing a third party direct access to your hardware(such as a hosted VM) the threat is minimal at best.
NVENC and QSV have to be explicitly selected at export time by changing the codec

Just took a quick look. You’re right. Although that sucks, it’s good news because it means I don’t need switch gears and start researching AMD. Thanks @Hudson555x!

The i7-8700K has 6 cores (but with 12 threads). Not 12 cores.

I’m now back to considering an i9 9th generation CPU.

Focusing on the i9-9900K which is a 3.6GHz 8-core/16-thread CPU for $488 that should be out this month. That isn’t much more expensive than an i7-8700K!

Then I could upgrade later to a i9-9920X with 3.5GHz 12-core/24-thread CPU. It is due out in November this year and is expected to be over twice the price of the i9-9900K ($1,189). Seems a good path for upgrade in a few years when the price drops, assuming it works with my motherboard.

Quiet?
Make a hole in the wall and put the computer on the other side, if possible.
Pro: No need for watercooling, less prone to defects.
Pro: You don’t have to tune the fans to silent, tune them for better cooling. Don’t forget to cool HDDs SSDs as well.
For the rest: Have fun selecting (in other words: I am out of time for writing)!

The i9-9900k and i9-9920x use different sockets and chipsets
The i9-9900k will use Z370/Z390, currently these platforms are limited to 64gb ram and more importantly for someone who has mentioned two or more NVME devices 16 pcie lanes directly from the cpu(plus 20 from the chipset that are linked to the cpu over a pcie x4 link called DMI 3.0) there are rumors of the memory limit increasing howver
The i9-9920x uses the x299 chipset and is currently limited to 128Gb ram but has 44 PCIe lanes directly from the cpu and an additional 24 from the chipset(also using that pcie x4 link of DMI 3.0) as with Z370/Z390 there are rumors of an increase in that memory limit coming with new module types. However a signifigant warning is that not all HEDT chips have all 44 PCIe lanes, the cheapest have a mere 16 lanes, followed by 28 lane chips and it isn’t till you cross 1k per cpu that you see the full 44 lanes.
On another note the RTX 2070 is available today, and apparently some software is capable of using the new tensor cores already https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Are-the-NVIDIA-RTX-video-cards-good-for-video-editing-1245/

You’re right! Boy this learning curve is steep. Guess a lot has happened with hardware in the last 9 years!

I look at these X chips as a different generation of CPUs that don’t properly follow the previous generational naming conventions established by Intel. Gotta love marketing.

I’m now just starting to learn about the PCIe lanes (CPU vs Chipset). Very interesting. And you’re right again, I’ll need to make sure the CPU and the motherboard can accommodate at least 2 NVMe SSD hard drives (one for OS and one for scratch). Though it seems I would be focused on the chipset PCIe lanes because those are used for SSDs and hard drives. The CPU PCIe lanes are reserved for the GPU.

I think I’m going to go for the i9-9900K because I just don’t want to wait until the X CPUs come out. Let’s face it, anything I get will be a huge upgrade. I just don’t want to have to upgrade again in a short period of time.

May I suggest learning how to use GNU/Linux with something like Mint as the distro.

• Super supportive community.
  • Shotcut is developed primarily on Linux (as far as I know)
  • Super stable
  • Libre software! No built-in spyware
  • It’s not 2005 anymore, installation is easy
  • If you are building from scratch you can research componentry to make sure you are good to go!
  • There is zero advantages to Windows 10 and arguably multiple disadvantages to using it over Linux