Best Linux ditro and configuration for video editing?

I am thinking of switching from my Windows 10 desktop to a Linux system.
Procesor: Intel Core i5-7400 CPU @ 3.00GHz 3.00 GHz
Ram: 16 GB
Grapthics: GeForce GTX 1060 3GB

So I heard that Nvidia graphic card might be a bit a problem for Linux. Would Debian be ok?

and another thing - what SWAP (or other partitions) is the best set up for video editing? Is the default installation ok? I would like my Linux to fully use the power of my PC.

If you could give ma any advice I would be greatfull.

Thank you.

Hi there. I have been using KDE Neon Linux for about three years now. I built a modest AMD Ryzen 3 1200 rig about 18 months ago and I have a very modest Nvidia GT-710. The big thing that makes this rig fly using Shotcut is the 250 GB NVMe M.2 main drive. I have never had Shotcut stutter editing HD mpeg files and the Nvidia card encodes H.264 about four times faster than the CPU. I have not had a problem with drivers. I always use the default recommended swap and with 16 GB RAM I haven’t really needed the swap. I most recently bought a 4 GB HDD for storing my current home video projects. HTH, -=Ken=-

1 Like

I had to find out which is faster, Linux or Windows with shotcut. I went to Distrowatch and downloaded the most popular distro of today. Which is MXlinux(debian freespin). Install was simple. Updated the MXlinux OS. Reboot. I use the Nvidia installer program that comes default with MXlinux. Reboot after the nvidia driver install. Downloaded the AppImage of shotcut from the shotcut website. chmod +x the Appimage file. Fired it up.

Conclusion Shotcut is 1 second faster on MXlinux. lol Hope that helps you. I’m using an RTX 2080 gpu

1 Like

I’m not a pro at shotcut, but just to add a point of data. I’ve been using shotcut on Fedora Linux workstation 29 (soon to upgrade to 30) with a GTX 1080TI with nvidia driver and it has worked flawlessly. I have a i7-5960X and I some times think I would benefit from more cores as i can see shotcut making use of all cores at times.

1 Like

That’s exactly what I want to do after you.
I will use MX Linux. I read about it and it seems realy stable and quick.
How about your installation disc partitioning? do you use one Hard Drive?
I have SSD and 1TB HDD. How did you prepare all the intallation on your computer?

why didn’t you install a Shotcut on linux from a “apt-get”?
What exactly “chmod +x Appimage” means?

thank you for your answer.
RTX 2080 gpu seems to be very powerfull toy!

all the best

There is an MXlinux forum, if you ever need help with MXlinux. Just go to the MXlinux forum. The users there are very helpful, like they are here.

With Partition I only chose Entire Disk. I use an M.2 Samsung SSD Pro. I have partitioned it in the past. If you are slightly technical minded, you shouldn’t have an issue. Again if you need help just ask in the MXlinux forum.

I first did apt-get install shotcut. But it installed a very old version of Shotcut. We should ask Dan to see if he could update that version of shotcut in MXlinux/Debian repos. Anyways I just deleted that old version of shotcut and downloaded the latest stable version of Shotcut Appimage.

chmod +x turns the Appimage file into an executable file.

Hope that helps. Don’t forget to join us in the Mxlinux forums. :slight_smile:

No, sorry, I reject to help maintain any Linux distro package as it is a huge time suck, and I have better things to do than deal with Linux fragmentation. I am, however, available to help packagers and review their patches. Since the packages tend to be old or have old or missing dependencies, I provide the AppImage, Snap, and portable archive. These are only what I provide support because they give me a reliable target to reproduce issues and to give users a fix they can verify in a short time. Also, there are some packages for some distros that basically integrate my binary portable archive, and that tends to work good too.

It’s ok Dan, I just realised there is another option on installing shotcut in MXlinux. Which is through the MX Package Installer > Flatpacks and it’s the latest stable shotcut. I’m still learning how to use MXlinux.

Has anyone asked Dan what version of Linux he develops and tests on? :slight_smile: Seems like that would be the most stable, as he wouldn’t ship it if it didn’t work haha. I thought he used Mint Cinnamon some time ago, but don’t know if that was or is true today.

I thought it was Debian?? Dan what distro are you using now days?

Linux Mint is pretty good.

I’m using Ubuntu 18.04 with it’s default desktop gnome shell for some development and testing. I use all 3 OS for those activities. The Linux portable, AppImage, and Snap builds are based on Ubuntu 16.04. The flatpak is it’s own beast, maintained by someone else but following my recommendations. I’m not sure what it uses within the flathub build service.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.