Beginning of audio crackles/hiccups when trimmed or cut

What is your operating system?

Windows 11 22H2

What is your Shotcut version (see Help > About Shotcut)? Is it 32-bit?

22.12.21 64bit

Can you repeat the problem? If so, what are the steps?

Yes, these are audio recording from my mic. I am trimming away the beginning and ends and when I do. the audio/my voice for the first seconds crackles.

(Please be specific and use the names as seen in Shotcut, preferably English. Include a screenshot or screen recording if you can. Also, you can attach logs from either View > Application Log or right-click a job and choose View Log.)

Edit: Log

Shotcut Log.txt (329.6 KB)

Instead of trying to copy/paste all the text here, paste it in Notepad (or the equivalent on your system). Save and upload the file here in a post.

Maybe it’s just a preview problem. Export only those first seconds (See here for the method used to export just a part of the timeline) and check if you still hear the crackle noises in the exported video.

Always a pleasure to interact with polite and civilized people.

Unfortunately, the log does not give any hints. But @MusicalBox makes a good comment about the preview. Try to export your project and see if the problem occurs in the exported file, or only in the preview.

Sorry, I didn’t see the upload icon. And I wasn’t trying to be mean with my last comment.

But, anyway, I exported the video and listened to it in another player and yes the glitch is there.

It sucks because there is no way of selecting and muting only a portion of an audio track. Looks like I’ll have to edit the audio in Audacity or something and then import them back into Shotcut because Shotcut’s audio editing capabilities is so basic.

See my reply to MusicalBox.

What about adding a Gain/Volume filter and use keyframes to mute/unmute parts of that audio track?

1 Like

I am only just learning how to use Shotcut but I’ll give it a try but this issue still needs fixing and I think I’ll do my voice over work in another program because the use of lossy opus bugs me.

Another thing to check is if your clip is variable frame rate. If you are not sure how to check, open the properties panel in Shotcut, take a screenshot and upload it here.

There is one universal advice, if an audio recording has problems - to convert it into a “friendly” format for shotcut. Be sure not to forget to set the sample rate to 48000 - this is the most problem-free frequency. If this advice did not help, then your project is heavy for your computer, use the proxy function.

I don’t see anything that could possibly indicate a variable bit rate but you’re the expert.

Click on the video tab to show the video properties

I am not edited audio I am importing, I am editing audio I recorded directly with Shotcut and Shotcut only record in crappy lossy opus format so even if I converted those clips, the source was still garbage to begin with and all I would be doing is creating larger files. It would be like converting a JPG to PNG or BMP.

Oh, of course, there is not video tab for audio only clips.

I understand your comment/concern about converting to a different format. However, it may be a useful test to see if we can narrow down the problem. If you are willing to help with debugging, I would request that you convert some audio files to WAV format and then see if the problem still exists. It would be very helpful from a debugging perspective.

I know you are using Record Audio on the Timeline toolbar. I have not reproduced a problem yet on Windows or Linux. I even used a tone generator on a track and then made it record that playing back. Then, I made some cuts and trims and exported as WAV. When playing it sounds fine, and in Audacity it looks correct. I do not thing the file format/codec is an issue. I have found that on my macOS systems, the recording itself is crackly like there is some capture buffer problem. I suggest to try to figure out if it is in the recording before even editing. The only other issue I did experience was that there can be an impulse crack when going from tone to total silence. Shotcut does not try to do any automatic smoothing for you. A two frame Fade Out Audio filter takes care of that nicely:

P.S. There are several simple and obvious ways to mute part of an audio.

1 Like

Yes, that solves it, the crackling of the audio really happens when a segment of the video is cut, it is necessary to correct it with a filter.

1 Like