Avoid funny voice when speeding up a video

I speak very slowly because I’m not a native english speaker. To avoid my videos getting boring, I would like to speed them up let’s say x1,1 or x1,25.
When you speed up a video on Youtube your voice doesn’t suffer any distortion. Even my phone player won’t give me any problem.
But when I try speeding up a video on Shotcut my voice gets very funny. Any way to avoid that?
Than you!

This is not available in Shotcut. You need to export the audio to another program like Audacity to achieve that.

2 Likes

Ok, thank you for your reply!
So, I should then go back to shotcut and replace the audio track? Is that possible?
Would you suggest any specific tutorial to learn how to do so on shotcut?
Thank you again!

Just load your audio voice track as a separate track. Shotcut supports video tracks (marked V1, V2, V3… and audio only tracks underneath (marked A1, A2, A3…)
Record your audio separately or export it from the video track, load it into Audacity (free, open source audio editor) and use the built in speed and pitch shift controls to achieve the effect you want. Import the result into Shotcut and place it on an audio track.

https://www.audacityteam.org/

1 Like

Thank you!

You helped a lot!

I’m trying to export the audio track from a avi file recorded with OBS onto Audacity.
It looks like I need to take the file to the mp4 format first, correct? Is there a faster way to do that? My pc takes ages.
Maybe I can edit it on Shotcut first, and work on the audio tracks later?

I don’t use OBS myself so I don’t know the specifics of the avi format it outputs, but I have just taken a random avi, put it into shotcut, separated the audio and exported it. Have a go yourself. If it’s a really long video file, you could try just taking a short section to experiment with first perhaps?
As far as my own experiment goes, there seems to be no need to convert the avi to mp4 to get the audio onto a separate track :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe they’re using an older or 32 bit version? Either way they can edit and separate the avi in Shotcut.

1 Like

Extracting the audio tracks from the avi file using Shotcut was easy and straight forward. I was actually looking for a way to extract them on audacity… thanks anyway!
My issue now with Shotcut is about speed. I’m working on a project with 2 clips (avi and mp4) that sum up a lenght of about 1 hour video. I’ve separated the audio, so I now have 2 video tracks and 1 audio tracks.
When I play the clips to look for sections to cut, it becomes a tedious work because they play extremely slow. I’m using a 4gb ram laptop with a 1,44 ghzz intel.
Is there any way I can fix the problem, or I should just buy a new pc?:smile:

Two things you can do first that come straight to mind. In the “settings” drop down menu select “Realtime (frame dropping)” - make sure it’s got a tick to the left of it. This will make SC drop frames to keep the speed more constant rather than slowing down. Secondly try shutting off picture and/or sound in any tracks not currently needed. You can even shut down everything except the one you are working on and switch between them if you need to.
Your laptop is definitely a bit underpowered though, so if you intend to do more video as a longterm thing, it would be wise to think of upgrading.

1 Like

Derp!! Ahh, I get it now. lol… I had a different interpretation.

I’m surprised Shotcut runs with your computer specs.
If you’re running a 64 bit version of Windows, perhaps try downloading a 32 bit version of Shotcut.

It may also help just restarting your computer before you start editing, especially if you haven’t actually restarted/signed back in to windows for a while. Turn off all Anti-virus, have nothing else running, and if you’re running wi-fi on your laptop, turn that off too. Windows 10 may be trying to download an update, and it downloads when it wants to and you have no control over it except to kill the internet feed.

Your computer probably has a HDD (Hard Disk Drive) instead of an SSD. If you have an HDD, consider defragging the drive, although they may take hours to possibly half of your day for it to complete. But it will bring significant speed to the seek/read time with your hard drive, especially if you have not done so for a long time, or ever. But the real true bottleneck is your CPU speed. There has been updates that came this year from Intel & AMD patching a major security flaw with all CPU’s, and if you have that update, that may have even more slowed down your CPU’s performance.

1 Like

Oh - just thought. Get hold of the free version of CCleaner too. Does a great job of cleaning out junk files and has a decent registry cleaner built in. Running that usually gains me a little speed too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi guys, thank you for your help!
I’ve switched onto a more powerful laptop and I’m now running Shotcut with an 8gb ram and a 2,16 ghz Intel Pentium 4 Duo.
I can appreciate an improvement for the avi file, which is considerably ligher than the mp4 one. The avi file was recorded with OBS and only weights about 330MB. The mp4 is a recording from my smartphone and it’s nearly 2GB.
I’ve followed the previous tips you gave me to ensure I’m using my resources at their maximum potential, but still the mp4 file plays very badly.
I really wasn’t expecting to have any speed issue with the machine I’m using now, but maybe it comes down to the graphic card, so I’ve increased the settings of my GPU to dedicate more RAM to graphics.
No significant improvement.:face_with_raised_eyebrow:
Is that normal? What is a configuration to make this work smoothly?
What should I do?
Maybe I shoud make the file lighter? How can I do that?
Thanks!

Sorry I didn’t share this sooner, but this computer is just at the minimum specifications. CPU: x86-64 Intel or AMD; at least one 2 GHz core for SD, 2 cores for HD, and 4 cores for 4K.

The exact chip model will give more insight to how many cores it has and it’s speed.

1 Like

MP4 can be unfriendly for editing. I have had success on lower end machines by converting the files to “Edit Friendly” format (can be done in the shotcut playlist). Edit friendly files will be large. So you can basically trade hard drive usage for CPU performance.

2 Likes

That’s a great thing to know! Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.