Automatic Silence Removing

Thank you so much sir for taking interest in my suggestion.

The tool detects silence by simply cutting the video wherever the audio threshold is below a certain point. For eg -30 decibels. This could be the default set point.

Both these are usually parameters that can be adjusted by the user.
If the silence is something less than the default, the user can manually change the setting to that number, and then the editor can cut out the parts where ever the audio is below that point.
And To answer how long- We include a setting which ignores the cuts when the final cut out piece is shorter than a certain duration (again adjustable). So the tool will not cut between words, because time between words is just a few seconds, but will cut out others parts when the silence duration is more.

The clips should be having cuts in between, just as if we had manually removed the silence. That way people will be able to flexibly remove any retakes taken.

Another Thing that i wanted to mention is that this is a tool also available as simple python code-

This 8 min video out here pretty much explains our problem and the solution->

here is a screenshot from this tool which shows all the features that we can have->

If the talented coders here could somehow get this integrated within the shotcut app, then it would be amazing.
Thank you so much again

2 Likes

Yes sir, my words most certainly had a feeling of urgency, because this is a tool which would be of major help to the users. I personally needed this tool so much that I even tried using 2-3 editors and then exported the file to shotcut. And so did many others.
There are many editors like jumpcutter and timebolt which offer just this one feature, and even olive video editor is not any advance video editor. But still these have downloads because of this feature. People export files from there and then use another editor to do the main editing.
I feel that if this tool is integrated into shotcut, then it will be no less than a revolution. Our app is already having great options, and this will be like the cherry on top.
This feature will not only increase our ease of editing, but will definitely increase the downloads of our application.
I had put urgency in my words, because I wanted the developers to prioritize this, as this is of way more help than the features I could see in the suggestions section.

1 Like

Looking at the Auto-Editor tool, look like it can export a project for shotcut, so you can just use this tool to do what you want and let it make a shotcut project with the result you can continue to work on

1 Like

Yes it does have a feature like that and I have used that too. Many people use it.

Firstly the exporting to the editors is a bit crappy. The tool often cuts two frames to the right when exporting to shotcut. It also takes time to do so.
And another thing is that if we could have it within shotcut, it would be much better, because we have it all together in one place.
That is why I had put this suggestion so that the ones who are facing this issue of using two editors can have a one stop solution.

If there is problem with the tool, you should make a bug report to get it fixed.
I would also take time, to do it inside shotcut.
there is a lot of works making such a feature inside shotcut, and if a tool already exist there can do it an make a shocut project, then it feel like a lot of duplicated work, there is a lot of things on the shotcut roadmap, that feel more important to work on IMHO.

Already did that sir.

1 Like

I already know that, no need to explain it for me. You have to actually reply this to the other guy creating unnecessary rage.

If you personally ask a feedback, I say, NO. As you get serious in editing, the less automation you use, because automation of something is not reliable enough. This needs a very professional and well prepared AI.

Thanks for the more detailed description. I will add this idea to the future roadmap. Unfortunately, I can not give a timeline for when it would be implemented.

Thanks for taking an interest on this, @brian. I have another suggestion, in the same vein of auto-cutting, which I’m not sure whether or not it’s related to @SNJgreat’s (I can put it in another post otherwise).

I do a lot of cutting and pasting of primary works into secondary works, and often find myself recreating the cuts in primary works to then select and recombine them into a new timeline. I’ve been looking for a while for a tool that would automatically recreate the cuts by simply indentifying image discontinuities (I see auto-editor does something similar to that, @TimLau, but I don’t actually want anything removed, just the cuts). Not essential, but nice to have.

FWIW, I’ve just compiled a (non-exhaustive) list of python tools that remove silences and can be used as a preprocessing step (just by the sheer number of scripts, this seems like a feature both highly demanded, and also easy enough to implement with available libraries):

Great work Sir

@brian should see this…maybe its helpful

No worries. I’ve looked into and installed a few of these, but haven’t tested them all. From a first glance, it seems auto-editor @TimLau suggested and stream-slasher are the only two that produce an mlt file that can be further edited with shotcut, rather than a reencoded video file (that shotcut would need to treat as source media).