Audio visualization effect: XY Video display effect for audio waveform like an oscilloscope

It would be cool if Shotcut could make XY interference animations via an audio visualization effect by modulating the frequency and amplitude of one stereo channel on the X axis and the other channel on the Y axis, just like when you set your analog scope to XY mode.

If I missed this feature somehow please let me know.

Thanks

Can you provide some examples/screenshots of what you have in mind? Also, how show it display when the audio channels are set to mono(1) or surround(5.1)?

Simple example: left=x, right=y
this is what an what the audio visualization effect display would look like

As for mono it would not work, as both x=y, left=right
and surround probably not as it works on two x,y values or stereo.

https://edadocs.software.keysight.com/kkbopen/xy-display-mode-example-589308984.html

Maybe you are interested in something like the old Tektronics 760A

It would be helpful for the suggestion if you also explain what you are trying to accomplish that you can do with the existing tools.

If I was trying to create some kind of audio visualization, I’d probably use OBS Studio to record existing software that has the visualizer look I want, play my audio using that software, do a screen capture in OBS, then audio sync and incorporate the captured visualization into my Shotcut project. When I livestream, I use ProjectM which supports Milkdrop visualizations. It has thousands of presets. Another similar software is Plane9.

Huh. I thought OP was requesting a new scope display. But now I see he could also be requesting a visualization filter.

You might be right. I was just throwing my $0.02 in since I use those other programs for visualization. They might have an X, Y preset that satisfies the requirement for the short term. Or just the general idea of screen capturing other software with OBS might prove useful in case it wasn’t already thought about.

Sorry I was not clear, I was talking about an audio visualization filter suggestion for stereo that takes
left channel as the x displacement and the right channel as the y displacement.

The reason I thought of this is I have a 1978 B&K scope and I can create these effects by feeding the
left audio to channel a and the right audio to channel b.