Audio Peak Meter is additive

Running Windows 11. If you have two audio tracks and use the Audio Peak Meter, when you have an audio track that has an average peak decibel level of -5 and you add a second audio track with a peak of the second a peak level of -4, the two together produce a maximum level greater than 0 decibels (red). So instead of calculating the average audio peal level of the two tracks, it adds at least a portion of the second track’s level. This can easily be reproduced by adding an audio track, using the gain filter to produce an average of -5, and add a second set to -4.

That is not a bug; it reflects the way audio is mixed, which is by adding and not averaging. Averaging for mixing is bad.

6.02 dB is the representation of one bit.
Adding two bit values together can extend required the bit width for one bit → overflow risk!
It is not safe possible to add two add tracks to one when both of the track are over -6db.

Usually it is not recommend to constantly get with the audio near to -3db in an audio file.
In this region some audio devices can suffer from a soft clipping because the analog voltage level get too near to their limits.

Hi Alexander. Thanks for your reply. There may be a misunderstanding here. If you play 10 audio tracks of which the highest volume is -20 dBFS, the Audio Peak Meter, as its name implies, should show the highest peak volume of any of the 10 at a particular moment in time. However, I see additive effects where the average dBFS bar becomes much greater than that of the loudest track.

No it shouldn’t. You are not an authority on how audio/video software should work. Also you contradict yourself. First you say it should average and then you say it should represent the maximum across tracks. I told you what it represents. You seem to have a reading comprehension problem. I refuse to change anything about this.