Audio crackling/popping in preview/exported video

What is your operating system?
Windows 10

What is your Shotcut version (see Help > About Shotcut)? Is it 32-bit?
Whatever the current latest version is, 64 bit

I am trying to make a compilation from various video clips, however the audio from the very first frames gets like corrupted and cracks/pops. The crackling doesn’t appear in the source videos when I play them in VLC player. I checked other threads in here about the same problem and all of them ended in it apparently getting fixed by the developers. I’ve tried disabling parallel processing, changing the codec from aac to ac3 and some other stuff I read, but nothing seems to change it. All the source audio is in 44100 Hz if that makes any difference.

3 Likes

Please do as the instructions say and go to Help > About Shotcut and write what version it is.

What video codec is it? Have you used Shotcut before? If so, has this issue happen before? Also, you say there are various video clips. Does this audio problem just happen on that video clip or does it happen on the other clips as well? Is it only at the start of the video or does it happen elsewhere? Do you have any filters on the video clip that this audio problem happens on?

I too am having the same issue. I have been using Shotcut since mid-December 2020 (version 20.11.28). Everything was working fine (I have edited at least 10 videos over the past month or so.) until today? Not only is the software crashing when I try to import a basic video file, but now the audio is distorted. The audio sounds like it’s under water.

The last video I successfully edited on Shotcut was on Tuesday (1/19/21). Today is the first time since Tuesday I’m trying to edit again and now I’m experiencing issues. (I haven’t done anything unusual/different to my computer or with the type of videos I’m importing.)

I uninstalled Shotcut and then reinstalled the same (most recent) version and luckily it no longer crashes when I import my videos, but the audio is still very distorted/messed up???

Is this only during preview or also in export played in a media player?
Is Settings > Realtime turned on? That only affects preview. It should be on unless you understand its purpose and choose to turn if off for special reason. Even with it on, audio is often not perfect in preview.

Shotcut version is 20.11.28.

I have used ShotCut for about a year and I hadn’t encountered this before. The default codec is aac and I have also tried ac3 and ac3 fixed, but the problem persists in the exported version. The problem happens in most if not all clips and in the first 1-2 seconds there is a burst of pops, as if there are too many audio buffers happening at the same time, but the rest of the clip is fine, no matter the length. Clips with silent audio in the beginning are unaffected. There aren’t any filters on the files or video channels.

The problem happens in both shotcut preview (Realtime frame dropping turned on and off, tried both) and in the exported file when played in a media player, however when I play the source clip in a media player the audio is fine.

I have the same issue. I’ve got a short clip captured with my phone and audio is fine when played in the phone, windows media player or VLC. If I make a new project in Shotcut and add just this clip, then the audio is crackling in the beginning of the clip. Audio level in the video is quite low, which makes the crackling really stand out. This happens both in preview and in exported video. I have total of 7 clips recorded from the same scene (in the same format) and this crackling occurs in two of them.

First noticed this with version 21.01.29. Then tested with few older versions, and noticed that the issue occurs also with 20.11.28 and 19.12.31, but not with 17.10.02.

Audio: AAC, stereo, 48kHz, fltp.
Video: H.264 / AVC / MPEG-4 AVC / MPEG-4 part 10 / 1920x1080 / 59,416667 / yuv420p.

Just let me know if I can provide anything else to help debug the issue.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.