Animating Notes

I recently animated drums. Now I’m animating my xylophone. In order to achieve overlapping animations to notes coming in at something like 16th notes at 120 BPM ( 8 beats per second) with my 4 frames at 30 FPS animation, I gave 4 tracks per drum so that up to 4 notes can overlap in a given set of 4 frames at 30 FPS.

To export drums took ~5 minutes for a 4 minute long video with 8 drums * 4 tracks per drum = 32 tracks + background image tracks = 34 tracks. This is fine.

To export xylophone with 25 keys requires around 100 tracks, and now also instead of an image background for drums, I have a 1080p video background for xylophone. Now it says it needs 25 minutes. Not unbearable, but not super great either if I’d like to pump out videos like a well-oiled machine.

For reference, my timeline looks like this. Basically a piano roll from a DAW, but each note has a very short duration ‘pop’ clip.

Any tips to cope or speed things up?

Here is how that looks if you’re curious! There’s a solenoid under each key, so you can’t really tell which key is being hit during playback from a normal camera angle like this, hence the animation!

Also, I had to rotate the video relative to the original animation positions since my webcam seemed to drift slightly after fine-tuning all the positions. Also there’s audio from the recording of the video that wasn’t supposed to make it in there, but whatever!

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.