Advice on videos that will be played on Imax screen. (Digital)

to add: tried the second export option and it worked just fine.

yuv420p should be fine. When the export fails, you can right-click on the job entry (where the progress bar during export is) and choose View Log from the context menu. Are there any errors in there?

You should consider what is doing the playback and how well it handles the format and codec. H.264 is going to have a higher chance at playback without dropping frames, in general, considering its popularity, optimization, and acceleration options.

1 Like

Getting stuck at 10% export is really odd. What version of Shotcut are you running? I’m running 19.06.15 due to working on an old project, and it exports using those ProRes settings just fine. I’m curious to know what your error log says. Having said that, if H.264 will suit your needs, it’s probably the better option for the reasons Dan gave.

In regards to banding, I think I’ve found the issue. First, there are two prominent filters for getting to black and white… the “Saturation” filter and the “Hue/Lightness/Saturation” filter. If I create two video tracks, put a copy of the same video on both tracks, and put the “Saturation” filter on one clip while the “Hue/Lightness/Saturation” filter goes on the other clip, and then turn the saturation value down to zero on both filters and compare them… I end up with very different results. The Saturation filter is much darker than the Hue/Lightness/Saturation filter. To my eye, the HLS filter looks to be more “correct”, a more natural conversion to grayscale. Is this the filter you are using? I don’t know why they produce different results.

Secondly, I took some high-quality 4K video sources and recompressed them down to YouTube standards. Then I applied the HLS filter with saturation down to zero. There is no banding on the 4K video, but there is banding on the recompressed version due to so much information having been thrown away to get the file size down. So that’s probably the source of your banding. I would bet the archive and YouTube clips are so heavily compressed that they fall apart if any manipulation is done to them at all.

Is there a chance your client would settle for sepia or other tones to disguise the banding a little bit?

Sorry for the late reply- I’ve just been using the stand alone Saturation filter. I’ll give the HLS a try. As far as the 10% thing…It just seems to stop. No error. When I exported yesterday it stopped at 10% and I waited about 20 minutes before I stopped it myself. Maybe I should give it more time? You did mention the files were large. I just figured it wasn’t going to work because the clip I was exporting was only 20 seconds or so. The person I’m doing work for is really settled on the black and white.

For play back I use a another open source software called GLmixer. Are you familiar with it? It’s basically a vjing software. Another program called Resolume is something I want to explore but the cost of it is not something I can swing at this time.

I noticed a huge difference in using the HLS filter as opposed to the Saturation filter. The HLS looks much nicer and natural and produced much less color banding!

Just checking in… how did the test run go on the big screen?

Hey Austin- it’s actually went very well! I’ll post a video in this thread at some point. Feeling very relieved after this test run!

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.