Advanced audio equaliser

I was wondering if it was possible to add a more advanced option of changing audio equaliser settings. I thought of this when I tried to bass boost something in shotcut but the bass in the output video sounded very tinny. I’ve made a mock up of what it could look like in ms paint. There could also be presets for things like bass boost, treble boost, neutral, pop, live, classical ect.
I hope you consider this idea
Thanks

10 Likes

+1 ! :slight_smile:

I have tried to boost the bass and treble during editing my recordings too and found this had little too no effect, I think your proposal of a better equaliser for the audio section is a great idea and hope they take it up.

I have created a poll, I don’t know if it’s implemented.

But I still prefer audacity for any audio work, because shotcut is mainly a video editor.

A poll is not necessary in every suggestion as one can simply like the original post.

4 Likes

I would love that feature, I do concert videos quite often, and parametric audio equaliser would be great.

There’s another type of equalisers, such as parametric eq, which you can find in many different DAW. Here’s an example of such EQ Linux Studio Plugins Project

-1 here.

“pop, live, classical ect.” are on amplifers / car stereos as emulated spaces made with reverb and not equalisation.

I like this no nonsense approach and these plugins are the robust LADSPA plugin standard (AFAIK) and they are famously devoid of pretty graphics.

But you know what else, they are also known for being robust and working well.

it would be super great if Shotcut would get an equalizer. No professional can do without it. Please take this big and important step.
Thank you in advance

Hi, I would like to add to my comment. Trying out the equaliser (Bass and Treble) it sounds to me like the the bass and the treble (and probably the middle too) are affecting a small frequency range. I can hear a difference but it does seem narrow band. Perhaps 3 out of the many frequencies of the LADSPA filter are implemented (I don’t know if that’s how the LADSPA plugin works)?

Also, I would like to go on about :stuck_out_tongue: what I wrote before that Jazz Classical and those kinds of settings on an home or car amplifier aren’t equalisation settings but different types of reverb.

Lastly, I don’t know how many people here need full audio DAW type capabilities but if you do the way to do it is using a process of “Picture Lock”. You export your video and audio separately and reimporting them into Ardour then mux them afterwards with ffmpeg using the ‘-c copy flag’ preserving all the quality (no degrading of audio or video). I’ve been doing this for a few years now and it really is a great solution, you can monitor your video as you edit audio. I love Shotcut for it’s simplicity and reliability but asking it to be a fully fledged DAW is probably not the answer (my 2c).

EDIT:
An aside, to get video monitor working you need to install Harvid and Xjadeo and their dependencies on Linux as well as Ardour. I don’t know what’s involved or if it works in Windows.

Hello @independent,
my point is not to turn Shotcut into an audio DAW. But, please keep in mind that even spoken language needs an equalizer. For me and my Rode NTG Mikrifon it needs the following;

100 Hz - 12 dB o. -Inf 12 Low Shelf
350 Hz - 5,0 dB 3-4 Bandbreite
2.460 Hz + 5,0 dB 3 Bandbreite
11.000 Hz - 12 dB o. -Inf High Shelf

So my big request to Shotcut: Please build us an audio equalizer, everyone who makes videos with his own language would benefit a lot from it.

I have added two new filters for the next release:

15 Band Equalizer

Parametric Equalizer

I will be looking for feedback during the next Beta Test period.

5 Likes

Nice one, @brian.
May I suggest changing the name of the filters to Equalizer: 15 Band and Equalizer: Parametric so that way they are grouped next to each other in the Audio filters list? Also, if Bass & Treble is considered to be an Equalizer then it can also be changed to Equalizer: Bass & Treble.

By the way, can a reset/default button be added to all three filters?

I never used a parametric equalizer before. I didn’t even know it existed. So I did some research on the subject and it looks like it’s something that will be useful to me. The 15 band eq too of course. So thanks for that @brian.

I liked this video that explains what is a parametric EQ and how to use it to shape the sound.

Or I was thinking Equalizer: Graphic

Or Equalizer: 15-Band Graphic. :slightly_smiling_face: I see that Graphic EQs come in different amount of bands and they are named as such.

Another thing, I wonder if audiophiles prefer that the parameters for EQs be laid out vertically like it currently is for Bass & Treble or is the horizontal way they are laid out there now fine?

Oh and by the way, on this comment of mine:

I didn’t notice the reset buttons were already there at first since I don’t use the light theme. They are missing currently in Bass & Treble though.

If the name of that one is changed, why not call it Equalizer: 3-Band Graphic ?
After all it does have a Middle slider, so Bass & Treble is not a very accurate name.

I called it Bass & Treble because I hesitated to claim only 3 bands as a graphic equalizer. :laughing: Meanwhile many people are used to seeing bass and treble controls on consumer grade audio equipment. Now that there is a 15-band, I do not mind calling it 3 band.

2 Likes

I thought about this. 15 controls aligned horizontally takes a lot of horizontal space and does not fit in my preferred layouts very well. But I am open minded about this.

Also, the underlying filter implementation does not even tell us which frequencies it operates on:
https://www.mltframework.org/plugins/FilterLadspa-1901/

I kind of like the simplicity of the “Bass & Treble” filter for beginners.

How would people feel if I convert the style of the “Bass & Treble” filter to match the new 15 band filter? The benefit is that it would add the better numeric controls and keyframes. And then I would also name it “3-band”.

@brian So the numeric controls like in the horizontal layout and keyframes can’t be added to this kind of layout?

“Can’t” isn’t the issue. The are two factors:

1. The wide horizontal layout like you pictured does not fit in any of the layouts that I use. So I would always end up with horizontal scroll bars.

2. We have built a custom combination “slider / spinner” with direct number entry. You see it in almost every filter:
    This control is not designed for vertical orientation and it would be a lot of work to make it vertical. Even if I do make it vertical, the space between each vertical slider would be very wide to make room for the numeric text entry box. Try to recreate that graphical mockup with a numeric value for each slider and you will see what I mean.