Adding Text to Shotcut

Hi All,

I am battling to get Shotcut to add some Text to Video Clips that I have on my Timeline.
I have Shotcut Version: 24.04.28 running on my Laptop, running Windows 10.

I follow the steps as noted on the various Help Videos available for Adding Text, and I just dont seem to get the same Screen Options…? When I go and click on the ‘Filter’ icon, and choose the Rich Text option in the left screen, I get the option to type in my Text, but that is as much as I can do…? I dont seem to get the full display options on the Left Filter Screen…? If I select Text from the “Open Other” Menu drop down , I also dont get the OK option to click on after adding the Text…?
I cannot seem to drag the Text box around the Centre Video Screen, and to selectively place the text, using drag andf drop, into a given slot within the video on the Timeline…?
Is there perhaps a Step for Step text guide available that one can follow and secondly Am I using the correct version of Shotcut…?

Anyone’s Assistance will be most appreciated. Thank you
Claude’

1 Like

Would this help? It’s my tutorial:

Also:

Hi jonray, thank you, I did watch that video and it did not help…?
For starters, I note he is Tutoring on an older version than what I have loaded, and already at the start when he clicks on “Open Other” and selects Text, he gets a new box screen with an OK selection button below the box. I dont have the "‘OK’ Option, I have Open or Save options that dont give me the same results as the Tutor…? Any other suggestions…?

regards,

Hi @ClaudeAllman

What version of Shotcut are you using?
Also, can you share a screen capture showing your Shotcut window after doing Open Other > Text?

This is what you should see in the latest version(s) of Shotcut:

1 Like

Hi @ClaudeAllman , I’m a little confused because the process is much the same now as when I made the tutorial.
I just made this short tutorial video for you using the latest version (no audio). Don’t forget to drag the preview screen to the timeline.

1 Like

Hi @ClaudeAllman

Quick video: How to use Rich Text filter

2 Likes

Hi All,

Sorry jonray, did not realize it was your Tutor Videos we are discussing…?

MusicalBox, am using Version 24.04.28 (Free Copy) Not sure how to attached or upload the Screenshot of the Open Other - Text that I took…?
Claude

Sorry OK see it did upload to the Forum…

@ClaudeAllman your Open Other dialog box is normal.
With @jonray’s and @SergeC’s videos, you should figure out how to use the text filter

1 Like

Yep, that is me!

That looks fine. Just do this:
First, create a blank track (V2).
In the text box…
Type your text.
Press OPEN.
DRAG the preview screen of Shotcut down to track v2.
It really is easy!! Good luck!

If you want to use Rich text, follow @SergeC’s excellent tutorial.

2 Likes

Or, simply click Add to Timeline

1 Like

Thank you, I shall try and figure it out as per your suggestions and video tutorials.

Many Thanks for the support.

Regards
Claude

Thanks, @shotcut, I forgot to mention that option.

Adding text to shotcut is possible but is not intuitive or easy. Here is a list of what to do for those who prefer written instructions over video:

• Add an image (or video) to the timeline to receive the text. (You must have an image, you can’t have nothing, I think)
  • Click on image on timeline (red border appears).
  • Select Pane “Filters”, press + (to add a new filter)
  • Scroll down, select “Text Rich”
  • Select preview (playback) window. A white border appears.
  • Click in white border - don’t worry if cursor is not always visible - and start typing your text or control V copy text in
  • Some basic formatting controls are available above the white box.
  • Your text stays with the image, for the duration of the image, which you can adjust. If you want a text-free image afterwards, then drag onto the timeline another fresh copy of the image after the texted one. Similarly for video, you can split the video and apply the text to only the first segment. So it will look like the text disappears.

A timeline is not needed to add text.
Using Keyframes can control when and where text is displayed on a clip.

Example: Editing from Source.

Example video:

1 Like

You can add text to a transparent clip that you place on a track above your image or video. In fact I personally believe that 99% of the time, text should not be added to your image or video clips.
With the text on a separate track, among other benefits, you have total control of where it begins and where it ends.

1 Like