Add an animated gif as an overlay in bottom corner of main video

Hi, guys. Please link me to this subject if it’s already been covered.

I have an animated gif which I would like to place over the bottom left corner of my video. So, the video is playing, then the gif appears for a few seconds then disappears while the main video is still playing. The gif resolution is not great, but if I can figure out how to have it small in the bottom left corner of my video, it will be fine. Any help is much appreciated. If you need more information, please ask.

Thanks, everyone.
p.s. I’m not terribly technically minded, so go easy on me with the explanations. :grin:
Michaela

Hi @Michaela1

When we see an animated GIF on a web page, it seems to run forever, right?
In fact, as you probably know, a GIF generally last only one or two seconds. But since it loops itself, it looks eternal.

But if you import it in Shotcut, it will play only once. So chances are you will have to copy/paste it a few time for it to last long enough for what you need.

So this is the first thing you need to do. Import it on the higher track in Shotcut and copy paste it as many times as you need.

Then you need to add a couple of filters.
A Fade-In filter on the first clip to make the GIF gradually appear on the screen.
A Fade-Out filter on the last clip. To make that GIF gradually vanish at the end.
The Fade-In and Fade-Out filters can be directly added ON the clips. You’ll see how in the video below.

To resize the GIFS chain, and position it in one of the corners, you will need a Size, Position & Rotate filter. But since you will need this filter to affect more than one clip, I suggest that you apply it on the HEAD of the track.

Here’s a quick tutorial:

Don’t hesitate to ask if you need further instructions.

2 Likes

Thanks so much, MusicalBox. Best, clear and easy-to-follow tutorial ever. Keep up the good work!

Michaela

1 Like

Glad I could help. Thanks for the feedback.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.