A380 Dining by Singapore Airlines | Proudly Made with Shotcut

My latest video is about the Singapore Air on-A380 dining experience. This video has been 100% edited with Shotcut. I experimented with the “Spot Remover” filter to blur peoples’ faces. This is significantly easier than what I previously did (Mask: Simple Shape, Blur, Mask: Apply), as the Spot Remover filter allows me to click & drag the area that should be moved. This used to be a significant headache with the Mask: Simple Shape, as I had to configure the dimensions of the filter manually.

One downside I discovered is that the Spot Remover doesn’t work well in conjunction with the Stabilization filter.

While I like the easy of the Spot Remover, I would prefer a Gaussian Blur or Pixelation effect, as the Spot Remover may have the effect of looking like a glitch. Nevertheless, I will continue using the Spot Remover, as it saves me a LOT of time on editing.

3 Likes

I read about this unique offering on the news. Interesting and informative with great editing as usual.

Would be interested to know, how do you decide who gets blurred and who doesn’t? Seems you allowed for SQ staff but not public. I understood filming in a public area (airport) doesn’t require permission from general public.

Do you use Shotcut’s stabilisation because your camera doesn’t offer it?

1 Like

If you show people in photos or video which are recognizable and identifiable without permission on the web its unlawful, if the photo or video was taken in public or not. Just when they are in a crowd and hardly recognizable it should be o.k. But mostly nobody cares :slight_smile:

Yes, nice video, nice aircraft. I really love the A380, a pity its no longer produced. Its so spacious even in economic class. But i thought this would be first! :slight_smile: Quite spacious for business class!

1 Like

In the UK and I believe in the States photography/videoing people in public areas is quite legal. Those images can even be sold (I guess that would cover receiving payment from uploaded content on YT) without any consent as long as it not for commercial interests, for example, content showing a person using a product and then suggesting that person is endorsing said product.

I’m no lawyer of course so people have to use their own judgement or seek legal advice.

This is what really prompted the question. After Googling it seems to suggest that an airport isn’t a public space, so I now understand why the spot remover makes sense.

2 Likes

Somehow I picked up you enjoyed that experience, Stefan!! :wink:

So did I ! great little video. Your enthusiasm is infectious, and I enjoyed your humour (“This is a waiting area … so you can …wait… …” :smiley: ) . as you know I’m a fan of your videos!

1 Like

Thanks @PaulusMaximus and @RilosVideos. The way I understand it, privacy laws about including people in your videos can be very different from country to country.

These two videos are interesting, but are mostly applicable to Australia and the UK.

I generally make a case by case decision on face blurring. I am not a lawyer, so I would rather err on the side of caution, plus be more respectful of peoples’ privacy. Furthermore, there is a big grey area on what qualifies as a “recognizable” face. As for the the flight crew, I asked them if they are ok with being on my video.

You do point to a topic I struggle with on every video I make. I see that pretty much no one else who posted a video on this event does any blurring whatsoever, but the way I understand the law it would be required if a face is recognizable and you don’t have the person’s consent.

As for stabilization - I mostly film with my iPhone: something with gimbal and sometimes without, and occasionally with a GoPro Hero 7. Despite having decent stabilization, there are still cases where I’d like to do additional stabilization while editing the video.

Thanks a lot @jonray! Glad to hear you enjoyed this video. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Stefan for the informative real world struggles of public vlogging. Yes, different countries, different laws of course. Caution sounds the most sensible approach and saves any potential issues with authority.

Okay on the stabilisation too, the videos are super smooth and this is reflected in the editing you do.

Thanks again

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.