8 gig is still not enough to use this thing

Greetings all…

First project went without issue. About 5 minutes in length. Only one clip of 30 thirty seconds long looping to get a feel for the software.

Second one I noticed a little bit of lag occurring as I created scene transitions on an imported video effect but still had no real issue building the video. Similar in length but a lot more going on as I understand the software more than I did in the beginning.

Same for the third. A different video effect linked together with more transitions and filters added this time. Some jpegs and a soundtrack. Similar in length and a decent result.

Fourth project is when the low memory warning came up numerous times but I started to use footage which I guess is more memory intensive. I took the recommended advice to use proxy, lower resolution etc.
I completed the video with a great result but it was a bit of a pain…

The fifth project is underway and currently I’m only using 5 still images (jpegs), only into the first seven seconds and the low memory is popping up…

I’m beginning to see it getting progressively worse which led me to believe there maybe a caching issue or build up of stored information preventing the process from moving on… I’m hardly into the project and the warning keeps popping up. Do keep in mind that these are still images as opposed to animated video as in the first 3 projects particularly.
All the optimisation settings I applied in the third video are still in place as these were recommended in the forum but it is struggling to keep it together hence this long winded post to try and clear it up…

Bizarre how it can handle the first three vids without issue then struggles with simple pics…
Just thought I’d let you know.

Windows 11 Home
11th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i3-1115G4 @ 3.00GHz 3.00 GHz
8.00 GB (7.77 GB usable)
64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Cheers…

Weird. I guess Shotcut performs better on low level machines when running Linux. Case and point (and this has a LOT of keyframing):

So I guess you will have to invest in more RAM if you want to avoid these problems, which isn’t very expensive these days and is probably easier than moving to a different OS.

Incidentally, how is your virtual memory configured?

On programs that can occasionally hog memory (like Photoshop) some users have reported setting an InitialSize AND MaximumSize to the same number - like 20Gb - has helped. The below suggests video editing apps perform best with a large page file so try that.

2 Likes

Thanks for that…

The initial size was 2560 mb for paging. I’ve increased it to 3840 to see what happens.
If it is all good, I’ll increase further. Not entirely sure what I’m doing so it is probably better to go in small steps…

Hi @PoisonedSlice - I remember that video! You posted it a year or two ago. Awesome effects and transitions! It’s great to watch it again.

2 Likes

That’s not enough. Set both min and max to 15000 or 20000 for testing purposes.

Thanks Jonray!

It was my first ever proper Shotcut video, and it has a lot of photos so it seemed relevant to this question.

Usually, I would advise IT Customers to double it to 8GB and start from there, then go in increments of 4GB from there.

An I3 with 8GB might be very frustrating for video editing. If you plan to do more video editing then you should consider more appropriate hardware.

Most people would start with a 16/24GB-RAM i7 with a 512GB SSD.

After I switched to the linux operating system, many problems with shotcut ended for me. In this OS, the sound is played normally, the shotcut never hung up all the time, including lower RAM consumption both by the program itself and by the operating system as a whole.

Hello…

Thanks for your advice… I’ve upped it to 8Gb to see how that goes… I will also look into extra RAM after checking if my computer has a slot for it…

Cheers…

Hello again…

This will be next stage if the previous one doesn’t do it.

Thanks…

This is something I haven’t yet considered…

Thanks…

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.