4K support by ... ffmpeg?

I really was pleasured to see how fast Shotcut is when I encode by the NVIDIA cores! At the moment of this writing I am testing to port all my life to 4k. In Linux, as you know, you have to make the ffmpeg after the driver of NVIDIA is installed. FFmpeg alone cannot run nvidia encoder since you have to install the Toolkit too. So after all, in a fresh Linux Mint installation I was trying the 4k features. I want to export a 4K film, fully supported by my great TV, to a lighter version without bilingual audio. So I tell you the problem. I need a tutorial to understand the Shotcut support to the 4k resolution. In a normal export it runs fast and fast, but at the 4k resolution Shotcut stops working. There are not error codes, it waits and waits. I suppouse that FFmpeg is not ready for the 4k encoding. Could you write some experiences in configuring Shotcut to work in fully 4K resolution? Many thanks friends!!!

What are the specifications for your system? 4K needs 16GB minimum.

What are the minimum system requirements?

Operating system: 32- or 64-bit Windows 7 - 10, Apple macOS 10.10 - 10.15, or 64-bit Linux with at least glibc 2.19.

CPU: x86-64 Intel or AMD; at least one 2 GHz core for SD, 2 cores for HD, and 4 cores for 4K.

GPU: OpenGL 2.0 that works correctly and is compatible. On Windows, you can also use a card with good, compatible DirectX 9 or 11 drivers. We do not have a list.

RAM: At least 4 GB for SD, 8 GB for HD, and 16 GB for 4K.

Hard drive: yes, get one; the bigger, the better :slight_smile:

The 4K resolution is supported by both Shotcut and FFmpeg but might not be by your GPU hardware. There is nothing special to do that necessitates a tutorial. Try to make an export, and after it starts, right-click the job and view its log. What does it say?

Hi, many thanks for your replies. My system is based on a NVIDIA 1050. But the RAM is only 8Gb. For this reason the system is working perfectly and Shotcut is very fast with the GPU support. FFmpeg runs fast and without issues … but in HD. When I search the support on 4K Shotcut waits the job that remains at 0%. I only notice the output file that increase it weight to 3Mb. After 4 minutes I stop it and I erase it. So probably it depends on Ram amount of the System? I will try in my other House where is a 16Gram system well configured to run Shotcut with CUDA support!

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.