21.06.29 - shotcut closes when opening the project

What is your operating system?
Linux Ubuntu 18

What is your Shotcut version (see Help > About Shotcut)? Is it 32-bit?

Can you repeat the problem? If so, what are the steps?
(Please be specific and use the names as seen in Shotcut, preferably English. Include a screenshot or screen recording if you can. Also, you can attach logs from either View > Application Log or right-click a job and choose View Log.)
One day I closed the system without closing first the Shutcut. In result after computer restart I was not able to open any of my projects. All had the following problem. I opened them, the computer was “thinking” few seconds and then it was closing the shutcut. I tried to turn off playlist and timeline thumbnail generations but it didn’t help. Finally I had to delete all hidden data in my home directory (I turn on the option show hidden files, then I searched for “shotcut” frame and then I deleted everything which was displayed (chache, config etc)). After that I was able again to open projects normally.

This is not a bug, it’s a problem that will always stand, Davinci does the same, premier does the same, Vegas does the same (To recover those programs, the way is only different), if you just close your operating system without closing an application, it will surely try to start while just booting and create some problematic situation and crash the application, if the application becomes critical while booting taking lot of power, it will show the windows “Your PC is suffering problem” Dialogue, telling the system to reboot and it closes apps forcefully, and the application was running some important and essential file to run the program, then it just stops application from working further until you dive deep into the critical application files.

Attention: Try not to close system while third party application are working.

Not sure if we are talking about the same. I didn’t have any problems with resources. However even if the app was not correctly closed, it should be able to manage incorrect cache etc. and not just to close itself. Even if it’s not able to restore the state, it should ex. propose sth to user (ex. can I clean all temporary data?) etc.

1 Like

Yes, I clean my temporary data everyday to save my storage for being filled at a important time. I don’t recommend to clear shotcut’s temporary projects, because they can be useful at any time.

Sometimes, applications behave like that, I only close my system when it’s unresponsive, and this causes several booting loops, because the new 3090 I have bought is not made for my motherboard, it is unstable, I somehow managed to solve the problem and make it stable, but sometimes it causes booting loops when something has been done wrong, like closing system without closing apps, changing what graphic card to use in blender, but it usually does 3-4 loops and comes back to normal, not sure what happened in your case, cache is not a important thing, you could remove that without tention.

Will you specify the version in detail, like ubuntu 18.04 or something else on the one and tenth place after the decimal, because shotcut now only support ubuntu’s above 18.04.

Ok, does it happen again. Yes or no.

If yes than it is probably a bug (perhaps). If no then it’s something related to bios or OS.

Shotcut stores a log file in its application directory. Navigate the settings menu to find the application directory:

In that directory make note of the file: shotcut-log.txt

The next time that Shotcut crashes or fails to open, upload that log to your forum post. Sometimes the log contains valuable clues that can help us solve crash problems.