18.11.18 Recent Project UI saved project going to auto recover

I manually created this directory in Windows. D:/test005 with nothing in it.
explorer_2018-11-22_02-19-28

The project name: Hi Mom
Hi Mom.mlt (3.6 KB)

shotcut_2018-11-22_02-20-55

Creates the directory D:/test005/Hi Mom
Not sure why this happens. I actually love this idea, and please don’t change this.
explorer_2018-11-22_02-21-33

After I work on the Hi Mom project, save the MLT : shotcut_2018-11-22_02-24-21

Exit and open Shotcut back up, click the file name in the Recent Project (either top, or right recent window) and you’re greeted with this auto recovery dialog box.

Appears to be directly linked to not picking the proper project folder in the New Project folder. In Version 18.09.16 I can pick from the recents, any mlt save, and it opens fine.

You have to manually set the exact project folder to open that specific mlt with this UI.

With the UI as it is now, and if I have source material I want to have in the same folder with the mlt, I have to first create the project with Shotcut, then open that sub folder in windows (or other OS’s) and put all of the sources in that folder.

On a side note, perhaps a suggestion:
I know UI text is precious real estate, but perhaps warn the user that a sub folder is going to be created for the project.

I do not reproduce. Perhaps Shotcut crashed while exiting after the project was modified (possibly inadvertently)

Appears to be directly linked to not picking the proper project folder in the New Project folder.

You have to manually set the exact project folder to open that specific mlt with this UI.

No, opening a project does not depend on any field values in the New Project form.

I know UI text is precious real estate, but perhaps warn the user that a sub folder is going to be created for the project.

Tooltips mention this.

I was always going too quick to let the tips pop up.
I actually love this feature. :slight_smile:

I uninstalled and reinstalled Shotcut 18.11.18 this morning, clearing the registry settings.
Same thing as before.

If I manually change the Projects folder, then click on the recent mlt, it doesn’t go to auto recover.
shotcut_2018-11-24_04-37-48

But changing the Projects folder will remain static and unless I changed it back to D:/Shotcut/Projects it would create another sub-folder int D:/Shotcut Projects/Hello Dad/

If I ignore this UI and open a project up as normal, no auto-recover box.

Update:
I figured out what might be going on, and how I will now work with Shotcut.

With the UI, can’t save an empty mlt project.
No file loaded, just pushed Save, and get this message.
shotcut_2018-12-03_15-26-14

But there is no MLT file here:
explorer_2018-12-03_15-26-46

Close Shotcut & Reopen, this appears in Recent Projects UI
shotcut_2018-12-03_15-30-09

Click on the MLT in the UI, and I get this. (There still is no MLT file in the file folder, nor anywhere in my folder “Shotcut Projects”. Can’t open what is not there.
shotcut_2018-12-03_15-30-28

Ignoring the UI at this point, and just Open File an video file, the top of Shotcut displays Channel Update.mlt, now I push Save, an the mlt file now does appear.
explorer_2018-12-03_15-31-31

My normal work flow for anything I have done with projects/documents that I know I’m going to save, I always name the file first before starting work. I’m an avid save button pusher.

Outside of the bug I’m reporting, here is my opinion of this whole method.
I’m about to edit 2TB videos (at least 100 hours, about 30 files), to just a 3 or 4 minute video. I do not have 2tb SSD capacity, and only one drive has a 4tb capacity. Yes, for simple one video file, with a few images, I can see this method would be ideal, but for today, it’s impossible to accomplish this. There are various images that will be used, and those I will have in the directory created with the UI. Again, I actually really love idea behind it, but for my current project it’s physically impossible at this point. I do appreciate all of the hard work on the UI.

Most people will add to their project before simply closing. Thus far, Shotcut is unable to save an empty document, which is why this occurred. However, I addressed this for the next version 18.12 to prevent this problem.

You are not required to use the project folder for your media for a project. In the future, there will only be the option to copy or move media into the project folder as a file management convenience. MLT XML can contain a mixture of relative and full paths to media. Using the project folder for the media simply makes the project more self-contained and portable. Now, with that said, there are some functions that generate files (e.g. Stabilize and Overlay HTML filters) and these will skip a file dialog when a project folder is defined. Soon - perhaps v18.12 - I will make the Reverse function skip the file dialog and target the project folder if established, and that will consume a fair amount of space. However, it is a seldom-used function, and I think that will be OK.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.