14" laptop for video editing

Dear all,

I have been looking for a small (max 14") laptop for work and for basic video editing. I cannot decide between the ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 with the Intel Core i7-10610U vPro Processor, 1TB SSD and 32Gb DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce MX330 GDDR5 2GB 64bits (https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/thinkpad/t-series/thinkpad-t14-g1/p/20S0CTO1WWENGB2/customize) and the HP ZBook Firefly 14 G7 with Intel® Core™ i7-10610U processor, 32 GB memory; 1 TB PCIe® NVMe™ SSD storage; NVIDIA® Quadro® P520 (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated) (https://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=111C8EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB).

I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts, also, let me know if you would recommend any other 13-14" model.

Thank you

Mario

Any reason the focus on 14? You can get a thin/powerful 15 with the thinkpad p1 gen3 if portability is a concern. That said if you did want to stick with 14 I’d consider the thinkpad p14s

Thank you for your answer. I want the laptop to be easily portable as I travel for work, so if I would like not to go over 14". Can I ask why do you prefer the lenovo over the HP?
Thanks
Mario

Build quality for one, we use thinkpads at work primarily and the documentation if you ever need to repair/upgrade one is absolutely fantastic.

As for the physical size, a 15" laptop today is a lot smaller than they used to be with bezels shrinking all over the place, and the weight(at least on the P1) can be comprable at 3.75lbs for the P1 vs 3.24 for the P14s(if you do get a 14" thinkpad you want that one with it’s P520 over the MX330 in the T14) That extra half pound gets you a lot more capability though with options for Turing quadros(no RTX but Turing cores at least) More Ram(up to 64gb) Bigger cpus(i9 and xeon options) and the option of a second SSD(easy enough to add yourself later too)

Thank you again for the answer and for the clarification. The thinkpad p1 gen3 is £1000 more expensive than the ThinkPad T14 Gen 1, I appreciate it is a much better machine, but do you think it is worth the extra money? Also for £2700 do you think the ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 is still the best laptop on the market for this price?
Sorry for the question I just want to make sure I make the right move.
Thanks

Man you guys are getting brutalized on pricing there, The P1 Gen3 starts at 1600US here(roughly £1250)

So I hopped over to the lenovo UK site to configure them and ended up with 2829.99 for the P1 and 1649.99 for the P14 the way I’d configure them lets start with the configurations and then go through why in a few spots.

Here’s the P1

Here’s the P14s

Starting with the CPU I didn’t pick the “top” cpu for either system, the i9 and i7 available in the P1 are going to perform very similarly they’re both 8 core cpu’s, the i9 has a 5.3 max turbo while the i7 has a 5.1ghz max turbo, their base clocks are 2.3 for the i7 and 2.4 for the i9 so that’s a .2ghz difference at max turbo and a .1ghz difference at base, you’d probably be able to find a small difference in short benchmarks but a longer run is going to result in roughly the same performance since they have the same exact cooling solution in the P1, there’s no reason to spend that 210 pounds.

As for cpu’s on the T14s the two i7 options are exactly the same with the only disctinction being the more expensive option offers vpro support, unless you’re a corprate IT department you won’t be using vpro, they’re both 4 core i7 chips with a 1.8ghz base and a 4.9ghz turbo, in this case it’s 290 pounds for a whole lot of nothing, not even the marginal .2ghz top the i9 had in the P1

The P1 wins outright here, it has twice as many threads and higher base/boost clocks in it’s cpu’s a 8core chip at a higher clock is a no brainer over a 4 core chip with lower clocks.
You can compare the cpu’s on intel’s ARK as well

Moving on to the os, win10 pro, just do it there’s always something missing on 10home I go to use, maybe that’s just because I’m from an IT background though.

Ram is roughly the same although the P1 can be upgraded to 64gb in it’s highest config while the P14s stops at 48gb because some of the memory(pick the 16gb option here) is soldered to the board I set both up with 16gb(the max soldered on the P14) since it’s easy to upgrade later and sodimms are way cheaper on amazon

Even if you need a screwdriver and spudger 109.19 for 32gb of ram is half the 200 that lenovo lists it for.

The same applies to SSD’s, 40 isn’t bad to bump to a 512 but past that a 1 or 2 TB ssd is much cheaper on amazon with 1TB ssd’s running in the 100ish pricing and 2tb units available under 300

Screens 15.6 4k UHD Anti-Glare 600 nit non touch with color calibration for the P1 vs 14 UHD Glare(shiny) 500Nit non touch with color calibration on the P14s, a bigger brighter non glare screen is going to be a better result, and if you want touch the P1 offers it with an OLED 4k screen(not that I would get touch but it’s available and still anti-reflective)

Graphics card
Quadro T1000(turing) with 4Gb Gddr6 on the P1 vs Quadro P520 with 2Gb GDDR5 on the P14s
The T1000 is a 768 core TU117 chip compared to a 384 core GP108 chip, it’s a newer arcitecture with more enabled and more ram just an outright more powerful gpu(although sans raytracing that the RTX quadros got)

Everything else is pretty much the same, the TLDR here is that as configured the P1 costs about 1200 more but with more than twice the cpu, better expanability(more ram and a second ssd bay even), better screen, and roughly 3x the gpu(on paper) compared to the P14s as for if it’s worth it? I only configured the P1 at 2829.99 compared to the 2700 you were looking at for a T14 so on that angle it’s a no brainer.

As for the best laptop “on the market” these are both excellent machines for “your specific use case” but a gamer would rather a geforce/rtx card and trade the weight, some would prefer a 17 so that’s a rather difficult assesment, I have a P50 myself and would gladly trade some of the thin/light(which has a cost premium) for a bigger gpu and cpu still at the same pricepoint.

That is very helpful.
Thank you

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.