Video graphic background behind a playing video

V1 is your background video.
V2 is your slideshow video.
Size & Position filter applied to V2.

If V2 wasn’t made with transparency, which is used with the example video, then you will not be able to see through to V1. Which is where the filter allows you to scale V2 to see V1.

thanks! so how can i make v2 with transparency?

sorry, i am such a noob

There is an “Opacity” filter in the video section of the Filters list. Add that to your V2 track along with the Size & Position filter. Play around with the scale in the “Opacity” filter until it’s as transparent as you want it to be. :slight_smile:

I don’t know how you made your video, nor do I know anything about Windows Movie Maker.

Using these images from a video game.
(Right click to see images full size)
1001a 1002a 1003a

I put these images over a moving video, using the Size & Position filter, along with fade in/fade outs. I have all fades checked “Adjust opacity instead of fade with black”.

Here is a video showing how it turned out. Just threw something together quick to show what can be done with the Size & Position filters. If your video is just one size, you could just scale it down with the size & position filter so your background video will show though.

@jonray , no problem… We all have various strengths in this forum. Mine is just above newbie, lol, I think.

You’re way to hard on yourself! Your skills are much more than that. And your contributions here are helping a lot of people!!:+1::+1:

1 Like

Wow! thanks! i am overwhelmed with all the help i am getting…i really really appreciate it! thanks guys!

Yes…i think i am getting it little by little. I may just go with resizing my main slideshow so that a little bit of my motion graphic background can be seen. I have tried making my main slideshow a little bit transparent so that my motion graphic background can be seen but i actually did not like how it looked, it was a little bit “busy” with all the movements and was overwhelming my main slideshow.

Anyways…i have one last question guys. Is there a way i can improve the quality of a video using shotcut? For example a have a low quality video(like 240p or 360p). Is there a way i can make it better like 480p or much better 720p in HD?

Thanks again guys! :slight_smile:

No. Not with any software I know of.

Oh! that’s unfortunate @Hudson555x, i asked that cause i also have an old video but the quality is bad.

Anyways…

I am finishing my video but it seems that i am having difficulty centering my slideshow on top of my motion background.

1.) Is there an option in shotcut wherein after resizing my slideshow(V2) to the size i want, there is an automatic button to center it on the screen so that it is perfectly centered playing above the motion graphic(V1)? or i have to center it manually using the mouse only? I cant seem to center it perfectly by myself.

2.) Can i put a border on my V2 to emphasize it?

Thanks again!

You simply need to do a little math or play with the numbers in the Position fields instead of using the mouse.

Not easily. Considering the difficulty you have had, I do not want to try to explain it. Sorry, but you can search here for topics and explanations if you want to try it.

@Pietrau

This post I did a couple of months back might help you understand the simple maths behind resizing and centring an image or video.

Key-frame zooming, motion & objects outside the screen area

@Hudson555x I have to agree with the above comment from @jonray . However modestly you may rate yourself, your willingness to try to help others is a credit to both yourself and this forum. If I ever met you in RL I would shake your hand and thank you brother.
:fist_right::fist_left::+1:

It depends on the problems with it. Various video (and audio) filters are designed for correction and improvement: Color Grading, Brightness, Contrast, White Balance, Hue/Lightness/Saturation, Crop, Lens Correction, Reduce Noise, Sharpen, and Stabilize. Also, you might want to remove interlacing and you can export as progressive and control the quality of that (Deinterlacer). After cleaning, you might want to use a very high quality scaler to increase resolution because maybe you will use it a (U)HD project and the other tool does scale as well. In that case, in Export you can set the Interpolation to Lanczos.

@QDSOV @jonray Thank you for the kind words. :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Made a small demo using some color clips to show you a few simple and some more complex transitions and effects you can use with Shotcut. Take a look at the filters to see how they are applied. Hope this will help with any future projects you might have.

Slideshow.mlt (26.1 KB)

THanks for answering! i really appreciate it! :slight_smile:

THanks @QDSOV. it sure made a great help! Cheers! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry for a stupid question - I just downloaded Shotcut and started using it tonight. In the video above (in this thread) - there are blue hearts moving across a black background layer. Can anyone tell me how to create this? Or is it a preset in Shotcut that I can choose from for a background? Thanks for any help!

It’s not a preset.

You need 2 video tracks. Background on the lower track animated with size and position filter. The video on the upper track sized with the size and position filter or the rotate and scale filter to allow the background through.

Music scroll.zip (3.3 MB)

Background is a still image scrolling with S and P filter. Video sized and positioned with S and P.

https://streamable.com/9mgc5

Topaz Labs is the most well-known company that makes A.I. upscaling solutions for photos and video. They have a video upscaler that uses subtle A.I. technology to add details and sharpness to old or low resolution footage. I’ve watched a bunch of videos on Youtube of people using the software, and there are mixed results. It can’t invent magical details that have too few pixels to work with, but it can produce better results than standard resampling algorithms in many cases.

Corridor Crew made a funny video recently that shows what is possible and what is not possible with such technologies.

Unfortunately Topaz products are not overly cheap, a little out of my price range. I’ve tried some of their free trials in the past, and my perfectionist expectations were disappointed. Again, the software can’t work miracles.

Linus Tech Tips also made a video about the software:

Oh weird, just noticed this post was from 2018! Ha. No idea why it got to the top of the forum again!