Workflow with Time Remap filter (using only a fragment of a clip)

Some comments about the workflow with a long clip of which we only want to edit a fragment and add a Time Remap Filter.
Cutting on the timeline does not affect the detection of the total clip length.
I only want to use Time Remap filter on a fragment of the whole clip.
The Y-axis of the Time Remap filter (left side of the track in vertical position), detects the duration of the whole clip, so the line is very low in the keyframe display track.
If I subsequently lengthen the duration of the clip, Time Remap freezes by default from the last keyframe.

Perhaps this is designed to be consistent with how clips work on the timeline, but Time Remap’s Y-axis values may be displayed too low if the clip has a long duration and we only use part of it.

Shortening the font in the preview window does not solve this either.

It seems that the way (or one of the ways) to deal with this is to extract a sub-clip with the piece of clip to use with the Time Remap filter.

Now the Time Remap filter setting line for keyframes covers the entire track height.

Have you tried the zoom button in the keyframe panel?
The zoom button scales the Y axis to fit the largest and smallest values in use by the filter.

Honestly, no :sweat_smile:.
I was so fascinated with the new tool that I didn’t even pay attention to the new button.

It worked great. :heart_eyes:

Perhaps this function of the new button on the Y scale, could be added to the documentation.

@brian, I think @ejmillan’s post here backs up the issue I raised in the last thread for testing out Time Remap here.

Your solution was to create the Zoom Keyframes Values button which in certain use cases in other filters can be useful. But in the specific instance of Time Remap where the source footage has no B frames and the video is long the default setting of having Zoom Keyframes Values button turned off is a bad idea because it doesn’t make it intuitive. @ejmillan has been using Shotcut for years and it didn’t occur to him to press that button because there was no requirement for such a button in other filters. Since your concept for the keyframe mapping for Time Remap is a slope, the best way to communicate that is to have a slope being shown in the keyframe timeline as the first thing the user sees. They won’t see a slope if Time Remap is being used on a 2 hour clip with no B frames and they will definitely not think to press that button to zoom in. Also even for someone like me who already understands the slope concept you did, I have to press that button in those instances anyway. So why add the extra step?

I suggest that just for this filter to have the Zoom Keyframes Values button on by default.

1 Like

It is a valid suggestion and the use case is well supported. But in this case, I prefer consistency for all filters, and not a special “surprise” case for this filter (Although, I think people might argue that the filter is already a surprise in other ways). I think a definitive solution will be to implement variable zoom for the Y axis. Then, the “default” view for all filters could be “zoom to fit” the Y axis.

I will file this idea away for now while I wait to see how many other people trip over it.

1 Like

On several filters I use frequently, the total Y range is so great compared to the range I need, that it is difficult to see on the Keyframe line if I have changed the value at all, or merely set a place for a Keyframe.

Therefore…

You have my vote. :+1:

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.