"WordFlash" text effect, done with the Text:HTML filter

I extended elusiens webvfx with another ease effect that i really like for text animation.
Since Shotcut is no longer supporting this Text:HTML filter, what is the way to go when i want to re-use or maybe do my own text animation with a f(t) algorythm instead of keyframes?

Hi @smartintech - I’ve never heard of a f(t) algorythm but I’d love to know more!

(I just put it into Goole and got " Algorythm (Ft. Drowsy) by Banon Coone - SoundCloud" - LOL! :rofl:

1 Like

@jonray Mathematically the “f” refers to “function” add the “t” refers to time, so f(t) is an effect that is a function of time.

Keyframes are discreet instances of time, with some sort of interpolation between them.

So @smartintech is asking how to get an effect that varies according to a function of time, such as my “Explosion” or “Fragmentation” filters that use Webvfx., which really can’t be done with keyframes.

Ah, thanks @elusien, I should have thought of that - now my A-level Maths studies from 45 years ago is coming back to me!! :wink:

Yes, good explanation.
So currently there is no solution except using an old version of shotcut to render the HTML animation?

I’m thinking of modifying the .mlt project file to do those kind of tricks.
Then i could build other functions like speedramping by programatically segmenting the clip’s end into chunks with different playback speed.

@smartintech, @elusien started a brilliant thread on this: (It’s a bit long, the posts from number 32 onwards are especially useful). But yes, reverting to 20.07 is I think the best solution. It’s really easy to do.

2 Likes

Hi @jonray,
Let me get this right, in order to use your templates, I will need to

1. Update any of the AT KEYFRAMES template with my own content
  2. Use elusien css generator to convert to use in shotcut, not forgetting to use the correct version of shotcut

OR

1. Use any of the template in folder 3 (CONVERTED for Shotcut - TRANSPARENT background) with my own content, and then use the correct version of shotcut to get the desired effect?

Just a bit confused which way to go tbh.

Thanks

Ed

1 Like

Hi @odusis, method is:

1. Use any of the template in folder 3 (CONVERTED for Shotcut - TRANSPARENT background) with my own content, and then use the correct version of shotcut to get the desired effect

Thanks for your interest in this and sorry for any confusion! J

1 Like

@jonray Thanks for the reply.

Final question i promise, when will i ever need to do this?

Update any of the AT KEYFRAMES template with my own content
Use elusien css generator to convert to use in shotcut, not forgetting to use the correct version of shotcut

Is it only if I want to adjust the animation speed/duration if I am not happy with your template defaults. Thanks.

@odusis, no problem, always ask!! Yes, that’s exactly what I meant. Alternatively you could change the converted code but personally I think it’s easier to change the AT keyframes code, then convert. This is because the converted code is to my mind harder (mainly because I’m not an expert in JavaScript and I understand the “at keyframes” way of animating. Hope this helps.

1 Like

Thanks @jonray is there an easy way to have like a X line with up Y words in it? or does that require coding, and is it something i will have to dig into your template to get whatever X lines and Y words i need?

Hi @odusis, not entirely sure what you mean Do you mean like a column of words? In which case, yes I think you would have to re-code.

1 Like

yes that’s what i mean. Ok, thanks.

Hi @jonray, is there anyway to delay the duration it stays on the screen before it fades off? I have tried increasing and decreasing some of the duration numbers in the html file, still no joy. I want to make all the words stay on the screen for about 5secs give or take before it fades off, so the readers have time to read the information.

H @odusis, if you’re happy to post it here as a zip, I’ll certainly have a look at it for you!

1 Like

Thanks @jonray. Here you go. Test.zip (2.9 KB)

Hi @odusis - amended file attached.
Test AMENDED.zip (53.8 KB)

What I did:
Here’s the original code:

I deleted the line-breaks to get the code so there’s one line of code for each word:

Then I increased the duration of the second animation (Exit UP) by adding 3 to each value (so eg 5000 becomes 8000, etc. (5000 = 5 seconds).
PS Notepad++ has a “column edit” feature (ALT+mouse drag down) - try googling it for more information) - which makes changing the values easier.

Adding 3 seconds was in my view about the right amount of time required for the viewer to read the text, but if you want a higher or lower value, just change it.
Hope this is clear! Good luck!

1 Like

Excellent, just what i needed. Thank you so much @jonray , now have to read through the code, to understand how it all works. :slight_smile:

1 Like

No problem, @odusis - actually I meant that I increased the DELAY value, not the DURATION. Apologies, I posted late last night …

:smile: - the animation code is actually quite easy to understand. Even I understand it! But I have no chance understanding the Java Script. @elusien’s your man for that, I have no idea how he works it all out …

1 Like

Yes it is quite easy, just increase the delay value of this value

{keyname:“exit_line_right”, timings: {duration:5000, easing:“ease”, delay:6600, iterations:1, direction:“normal”, fill:“forwards”}}]},

by 3s. Nice one works perfectly.

The only issue i have now it trying to use the shotcut version that uses the html filter, but i noticed that when i import the project mlt into that version, some of the filter are not available in the html shotcut version, so what i intend to do is to just export individual html timeclips into mov or webM with an alpha channel, and then import those mov or webM into the latest version of shotcut