Why is dragging a clip to another track much slower than just cutting and pasting it?

So, from my experience with Shotcut so far, dragging a clip to a new track is much “laggier” than just copying, deleting, and then pasting the clip onto the new track.

With dragging to a new track, Shotcut freezes as it processes the move, increasing in time the bigger the project is. On a lot of my projects, I have to wait as Shotcut freezes for over two seconds.

Also, the freeze happens as long as I mouse over another track while dragging, even if the clip ultimately ends up on the same track when I release. Annoyingly enough, when dragging a clip over a long distance, it’s extremely easy to accidentally mouse slightly off-track for just a moment.

Meanwhile, both the delete and paste operations are nearly instantaneous, and don’t get much worse as the project increases in size.

Is it just me who has this problem? If not, then why is dragging between tracks even a thing when it’s so slow compared to just copy-pasting? Especially with how the freeze triggers even if I just mouse over another track, and how easy it is to accidentally mouse over other tracks when dragging.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed this same thing! Including this part:

Also, the freeze happens as long as I mouse over another track while dragging, even if the clip ultimately ends up on the same track when I release.

Maybe related or not, I get a lot of lag when dragging the handles of clips on the timeline, and my guess is that Shotcut’s generating a bunch of thumbnails as I’m dragging, instead of waiting until I release and generating just one for the new clip boundary.

What version of Shotcut are you using? I remember a time when I had this problem too. But that was a few versions ago. Now I can move clips, cut them, trim them and resize them without any issues. Even on my slowest computer.

Shotcut version 21.03.21, but seems it’s always been the case. And it’s fine with small projects, but the larger they get, the laggier it gets, even when using proxies. You can even drag a clip over another track and put it right back in the same spot, so there’s nothing to undo, and it’s the same few seconds of lag after release.

If you really want to understand why in more depth, you need to study the source code. And while there maybe you want to help out and improve it.

1 Like

“…I am sure someone will complain about that degradation of the user experience.”
:joy: :rofl: :joy:

@shotcut Just wondering if toggling Show Video Thumbnails off could significantly help performance when moving clips in the timeline on BIG projects.
show-thumbnail

1 Like

Not much because thumbnails are loaded asynchronously from cache.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.