"When the World Stood Still" - a slideshow with music

Hi folks, just spent a highly enjoyable day putting together this short video - a slideshow of photos highlighting some events surrounding the coronavirus pandemic. The music is a day old - I composed it yesterday :smiley:

Stay safe…

100% Shotcut, of course … :wink:

11 Likes

Lovely production Jon, the music really complements the visuals. We’ve only(!!) had a score of deaths here in Cyprus, out of a population of just over 1million. It makes you wonder why the UK per head of population is about 25 times worse! It’s great though to see the various efforts people are making to try to overcome the worst of these worrying times.

1 Like

Videos like this will stand the test of time. Very nice music for the video.

1 Like

Very touching. Conveys the emotion of our circumstances.

@jonray - whenever I’ve tried creating a slideshow, Shotcut just closes down when I have around 25 photos. The only filter is size/position for ken burns type effects. Is this normal?

No it isn’t normal. I just helped another forum member who was having problems exporting a video with hundreds of photos and quite a few videos. I did it for him on a Windows system with just 8GB of memory, so obviously all those images were not a problem on my system. It was failing on his system, I believe though lack of memory. (see here: HELP : Export failed with exit code 3)

Have you checked the application log (View->Application Log) to see if there is any error indicated?

@jonray

Really lovely Jon.
The music highlighted the general feeling, sadness and a longing of past times, with
an undertone of some hope for the future, which is hopefully not too far.

I posted the Youtube link to my kids and they all loved it. My daughter Lisa replied:

This is so moving, what a lovely collage :heart::heart:

Thanks for replying. I’m running on a Dell T3610 (Xeon) with 32 Gb RAM - I don’t think it will be memory related. The error seems to throw when I use successive crops. Here’s the error log

Faulting application name: shotcut.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5e92d63d
Faulting module name: Qt5Qml.dll, version: 5.9.7.0, time stamp: 0x5c660d68
Exception code: 0xc00000fd
Fault offset: 0x00000000001c9846
Faulting process ID: 0x2674
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6224a5ed90046
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Shotcut\shotcut.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Shotcut\Qt5Qml.dll
Report ID: 7a1b1d6b-4244-4919-93c5-981bb5a28e91
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I have worked around it by cropping images in GIMP prior to import into Shotcut, so not really a problem for me at the moment.

Thank you so much @Elusien, @Hudson555x, @robmason and @Paul2 for your kind comments! It was very enjoyable to make.

Aw, that’s really nice! Please say thanks to Lisa from me!

I had no issues with this but it may be useful for you to know I prepared each clip before I added it to the timeline, by
1 importing the individual photo onto the timeline and setting the duration for 10 seconds;
2 applying a gentle zoom in or out (ken burns effect) via one of the “slow zoom” presets of the S&P filter:

3 applying a scale of about 110% to completely fill the screen;
4 exporting as an Mp4.

Did this for each clip. It was quite time consuming but enabled me to put the final video together on the timeline by importing each zoomed clip and avoiding strain on the cpu and therefore lag.

The music you composed fits the images perfectly.
There is no excess with the transitions that alternate between cross fade and fade in/fade out, it makes your video very moving. It makes you aware of the sad reality.
All this in one day, bravo sir!

Merci pour ce montage émouvant c’est une belle réalisation.
Bravo à l’artiste.
Cordialement.

Thanks @jonray - that’s helpful.

Thank you, @namna! My mantra was, “Less is More”. So, no flashy HTML test effects this time :laughing: , only dissolves and fade ins/outs to black. And plenty of artistic pauses in the music …

Merci beaucoup pour tes mots gentils. Je suis ravi que vous ayez aimé cette courte vidéo. Ma nation et la vôtre se tiendront ensemble et vaincront entre nous cette maladie mortelle un jour …

(Translation by Google…)

My pleasure!

Very nice indeed. Thank you for your contribution.
I hope things get better quickly over there.

I put together a little video here in the US in my home State of Vermont to show my support for the front line workers. If you haven’t seen it, please take a look and turn on your audio, it has very similar music to your video. I didn’t put the credits to the music at the end like you did but I will the next time I do something like this. It was my very first video ever and I think it came out well. The music was from the YouTube free music library.

Enjoy: https://youtu.be/AWz9AAjcH5s

Stay safe, Steve in Central Vermont

3 Likes

C’est magnifique.
Je ne trouve pas les mots.

Ici c’est le premier jour de déconfinement
J’espère que la population va bien continuer à appliquer les gestes barrières,car nous enregistrons 26 380 décés

That’s wonderful.
I can not find the words.

Here is the first day of deconfinement
I hope that the population will continue to apply the barrier gestures, because we record 26,380 deaths

good luck

bon courage

Hi @Blackink, I saw your video the first time but it was really good to see it again. I enjoyed it. Thanks.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.