Video with multiple audio tracks

Hello,
I have a video with 6 audio tracks. I wanto to convert it as a H.264 mp4 file. From the included audio tracks I want to include all OR some into the video and I want to give them a specific order (it seems that the build in mp4 player in firefox can only play track 1…).

I already noticed that I can change the audio track of the selected video in the playlist with the properties menu. And I already noticed the multiple video and audio tracks in the timeline. But after composing it with this function (selecting language with properties…) and encoding it the film had only one audio track (checked with VLC, not firefox).

Therefore:

1. Has H264 / mp4 in Shotcut multiple audio tracks?
  2. How can I arrange the Video with the included audio tracks? (take onle some, select a language e.g.)
  3. How can I make e.g. track 2 of the original file to track 1 in the file i want to encode (create)?

Sincerely
H.

Tracks on the timeline are like layers [in photoshop]. The upper most track takes precedence.
You can re arrange track content by dragging’n’dropping into a new empty track

Tracks on the timeline are like layers [in photoshop].

If I am not mistaken, I believe he is asking about the ability to export a project out of Shotcut with multiple audio tracks as separate choices such as you would find on DVDs and Blurays such as track 1: English track 2: Spanish track 3: French

1 Like

Yes, I considered this also but didn’t want to get into discussing DVD Authoring software which Shotcut clearly isn’t.

Yes, I considered this also but didn’t want to get into discussing DVD Authoring software which Shotcut clearly isn’t.

Having multiple audio tracks in a mkv file has nothing to do with DVD authoring. I just used DVDs as an example to help you understand.

1 Like

I don’t need your help understanding DVD authoring, but thanks anyway. But if you’re going to mention DVDs/Blurays in your post you should expect people to think it’s what you’re talking about…
However, if after all you’re really talking about MKV, then please describe how the OP can enable selectable audio tracks in his exported video file and perhaps we’ll all learn something useful from you?
Cheers :slight_smile:

Hello DRM,
yes, that’s exactly what I am looking for. I tried it now with the order in the time line, the result were two audios in one audio track where I could hear two commentars simultanously. :frowning:
Is it perhaps possible to export them as two seperate tracks out of shortcut?

1 Like

I don’t need your help understanding DVD authoring, but thanks anyway.

What a shitty attitude you got there. You should work on that and your reading comprehension because not only was I not about getting you to understand DVD authoring, you didn’t even understand the question Hawkeye here asked. And that’s been a pattern with you since you’ve also replied to my stuff before but have a hard time understanding what was actually written.

1 Like

Hey, Hawkeye. :slight_smile:
As far as I know, Shotcut doesn’t export files with multiple audio tracks. What I would suggest is getting MKVToolNix and using it along with Shotcut. So, in your Shotcut workflow, include all of the tracks you want to have as separate audio tracks (e.g. A1, A2, A3, etc…) and make all of the same edits (if there are any) across all audio tracks. After going through the video and codec tabs to make your desired adjustments in the Export menu, make the adjustments you also want on the audio tab. Then export the video with the first audio track which means you mute all of the other audio tracks (that’s what the small speaker icon does that is found in both the video and audio tabs in the timeline space).

After that, start exporting the other audio tracks one by one. Make sure that you mute all audio tracks except for the one you want to export at that point in time and right before you start exporting the other audio tracks separately, also make sure to disable the video in the codec tab on the export option screen that way only the audio track is exported. After you export all the other audio tracks, use MKVToolNix to put them all in one MKV file.

I hope that helps you. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Re: Understanding a post - the onus is on the author, not the interpreter.
And please, don’t talk about shitty attitudes when you post personal insults like that.

Re: Understanding a post - the onus is on the author, not the interpreter.

I understood what he asked no problem. So when you demonstrate a pattern of bad reading comprehension the onus is on you to take care of that.

And please, don’t talk about shitty attitudes when you post personal insults like that.

Mine is not a shitty attitude. It is a reaction to your shitty attitude.

I’ve seen Steve_Ledger give countless instances of positive, helpful information on the forum. He definitely knows his shit and does not have an attitude.

Chill out.

:tomato: lol :joy: :tomato:

1 Like

I think I mentoined in a post a few months back that Shotcut does not
handle multiple audio tracks.

It will always mix down to stereo.

If you want to see separate audio tracks in Shotcut then you can do what I sometimes do:
first break the audio down into separate files in a program like audacity, one file for each track
and bring them into shotcut one by one. Then you can cut,paste, move them around etc
to line up with video shots

But when done, don’t export the whole thing with shotcut or it will again mix all you’ve done down to stereo.
(Shotcut will save the results in their own project file. It only mixes down when exporting)

So export the audio tracks again one by one as separate files. And bring them all together again into one
file with audacity.And then combine the video with the multitrack audio again… with something like ffmpeg.

Of course you can also work with ffmpeg … after all shotcut uses ffmpeg
But shotcut despite all its wonderful top notch features just does not implement many of the
features of ffmpeg.

1 Like

GUys please chill

It is a common thing with almost all websites I’ve seen that people respond without
properly reading the post.
That’s just the way the web is.
Nothing unusual about that.

Just assume people don’t read well and live with it.
Concentrate on the answers you want and forget about all
the irrelevant stuff

No reason for anyone to get web rage (like road rage) over it.
but that is also common
people always seem to get web rage when others point out they didn’t read well etc.
Nothing unusual abouit it either
That’s also the way the web is.

The best web site protocol is
Ignore anything except what you want
and stay out of flame wars

pfff … you are ruining whole fun… :joy:

I need to know who is superior :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

So I am superior at ruining fun
I win.

1 Like

I think I mentoined in a post a few months back that Shotcut does not
handle multiple audio tracks.

It will always mix down to stereo.

Yeah, that was my thread you were responding in. :slight_smile:

However, I’m not sure why you are writing that since in my thread forum member “joel.ringuette” pointed out that Shotcut can indeed export audio tracks with more than one channel as he did here.

By the way, like Steve_Ledger before you, you misunderstood Hawkeye’s question. He confirmed in his last post here that my understanding of his question was what he was asking about. :slight_smile:

That’s right.I suppose you missed my response to that.

I thanked joel for that great insight
and also noted my experiments with his suggestion and
the limitations of the method.

Good of you to point out that idea.

Thanks Drm for pointing out that my response was giving the wrong impression that I didn’t understand.
So perhaps I should break it up item by item to make it more clear.

Hawkeye said: I have a video with 6 audio tracks.
Response: shotcut on import of your vidoe will not give you access to those 6 separate audio tracks (to my knowledge)
I asked if anyone in the forum knew of a way to do this and have never got any answer
Hawkeye said: From the included audio tracks I want to include all OR some into the video
Response: shotcut will not display your imported audio as 6 tracks so you will have
difficulty including only “some”, you will have to take “all”
for example if you have french track, spanish track
you will likely have both speaking at once
Hawkeye said: I want to give them a specific order
Response: shotcut can order the audio tracks but only if you bring in audio as 6 separate audio files
otherwise you won’t have access to the separate audio tracks in Shotcut
of course you will have access to any audio track you make in shotcut itself
Hawkeye said: Has H264 / mp4 in Shotcut multiple audio tracks?
Of courset but
only the audio tracks you create in shotcut can be worked on by shotcut
it can do nothing with audio already in your mp4… unless you turn it into
6 separate audio files and bring it in that way
Hawkeye said: How can I arrange the Video with the included audio tracks?
(take onle some, select a language e.g
Response: you mute any audio tracks you don’t want included in export
but that hinges on your having access to those audio tracks separately
Hawkeye said: How can I make e.g. track 2 of the original file to track 1 in the file i want to encode (create)
Response: if you mute track 1 then track 2 will be the only track (hence track 1) on export
alternatively, if they are in fact on different tracks in shotcut then you
can simply click on a track and move it up or down in order of tracks in shotcut
but again
the key is having access to 6 audio tracks
on import of your original file
unless someone can answer this question of how to import a file with 6 audio tracks
and have shotcut display them on 6 audio tracks you will have to use the method
of in audacity or ffmpeg exporting the audio as 6 separate audio files
and bringing the 6 individual audio files to shotcut one by one so they will go to separate tracks
then you can work on the audios as you wish

hope that helps make it clearer
       Thanks again DRM for keeping us on our toes