Video and audio jittery/choppy while editing ? Please help?

I recently downloaded Shotcut (the latest version, with the portable zip 64 bit download), and I think it’s really good because of all the features it has and that it’s free. However I’ve been having a lot of difficulty editing my videos??

I find that when I edit a video, the more I do to it (add filters/effects/audio track etc.) the more it starts to sort of jitter and be choppy, like it has a very stop/start kind of effect, and the audio does the exact same thing. Yet when I export it the problem isn’t there anymore and everything is fine. But it does make editing extremely difficult and virtually impossible because I can’t do anything to the video or audio track, as the more I do to it, the more the start/stop thing happens and the worse it gets, to the point that it’s extremely difficult to understand what’s going on in the video.

I’m really not sure how to explain it and I’m not sure how much sense that really made, but I just don’t know what to do??? Does anyone else have this problem or know why it’s happening or what to do about it???

(Ok i was looking at some other forum posts and someone said that if you changed the resolution then it would be better, so i put it on 720p 50fps which seemed to be the lowest one but the choppy thing still happens?? Is it just because my laptop is not good enough to support this editing???)

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thank you.

What is happening to you happens to everybody even with some high-end computers. The more clips you add and the more effects you had, the more choppy the video editing will be.

You can do some things like shuting down all other applications, increase the computer memory, faster disk, etc. Other thing you can do is to apply the effects only when making the final video export.

1 Like

Thank you, I guess it’s helpful to know it’s not just me :slight_smile: I tried shutting down some other apps and that made it work a bit better, I guess I’ll just have to deal with it for now.

I found some good video in that regard (Its an older version of Shotcut, but most is still relevant):