Version 20.10.31 Has Been Slower on My System?

What is your operating system?
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X (6-cores)
RAM: 16GB DDR4
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660 TI (6GB)
Storage: 1TB SSD and 2TB HD

What is your Shotcut version? Is it 32-bit?
20.10.31, 64-bit

Can you repeat the problem? If so, what are the steps?
Hello, this is just a general issue rather than a specific bug, but I’ve had much longer “loading times” (i.e. opening source files, editing project clips, etc) ever since I updated to the latest version (20.10.31, 64-bit) when compared to the past. Normally, the program was always a little laggy when I add new video files to the project and then it gets better once I leave it alone for a few minutes, but now it’s always slow no matter how long I wait.

I don’t know if anyone else has a similar experience, or maybe Shotcut is simply more demanding now, but rolling back to the older version (20.09.27) is much more tolerable. I’m just a layman, so I have no idea how any of the technical aspects work, but I hope future versions will be more optimized for my computer.

Thank you for your hard work!

1 Like

This is not accepted as a valid bug report. I do not experience it, and you have presented no evidence; it is just a feeling. Maybe you are affected by a known problem that Shotcut does run well when there is more than one of itself running including possibly a hidden one in the background that did not exit completely. If you do know how to use Task Manager details view to locate and end all instances of shotcut.exe, then you can reboot.

Understood. I’ve double-checked the task manager and there seems to be only one Shotcut process. Sorry, it’s just difficult for me to explain. I’ve tried my best to illustrate an example with a video:

This is only one instance, but basically many types of actions just take longer in the new version in my experience and the loading times all add up in the editing process. To be fair, it’s not completely unusable and it might only be on my end. I can always stick with the older version at the end of the day. But just in case other people might have a similar experience, it could be something to consider and I hope it helps to understand any potential problems moving forward. :+1:

1 Like

Yes, that is weird. What is your current Settings > Display Method? Please try different ones to see if helps.

Hmm, by default it’s under DirectX (ANGLE). From a quick check, it seems to be the same for me even when I switch to OpenGL, Software (Mesa), or Automatic. As an FYI, I’ve also fiddled with the Realtime (framedropping), Progressive, and Scrub Audio check-boxes under Player settings, just in case, but also doesn’t seem to change anything.

Please return it to OpenGL, GeForce works best with that method in my experience. DirectX is actually less direct. Then, after you restart perform a simple action like the right-click on timeline clip, split, and look near the end of View > Application Log for anything relevant. You can save it and upload here as well.

Does the time length of the timeline make a difference for you? I see yours is about 2.5 hours. What about a clip that is only a few minutes?

Got it, here’s the full log after selecting OpenGL as my display method and doing a simple split to timeline: Shotcut log.txt (34.1 KB)

However, after opening and editing a shorter 15-minute clip like you asked, I can confirm that it is indeed faster. So, I guess the lag really is dependent on video length/size! It’s weird to me that it’s a factor only now, but that’s probably the core of the issue.

Well, unless there’s anything else to do, I assume it’s only inconvenient for me then because I like to edit down longer videos, haha.

I just did some testing with a 2 hour clip, and was fine for me. I also put that on the timeline 3 times to make an over 6 hour timeline, and that was fine too. So, I do not think that alone is the culprit. What is most surprising is how long it takes for the menu to appear when you did a right click. Again, it is weird, but we are seeing some surprising problems with the big library upgrade in this version. Your log looks fine; thanks for sharing it. I will let you know if I have a special build for you to test if I think of something or try a different version of said library.

1 Like

Alright, thank you for your time! For now, I’ll stay with 20.09.27 in the meantime.

Slower Response Problem is happenning to me too. Simple activity (like selecting another clip) takes much longer time than old version :grimacing:
I’ve already installed old version. (I’m glad that I kept the old installer of “shotcut-win64-200913”)
And It doesn’t have Slower Response Problem :slightly_smiling_face:

Shotcut version 20.11.25 still has the lag problem for me.
Even simple task (such as selecting another clip) is much slower than version 20.09.27

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.