The goal: I have a 2560x1440 recording from which I’d like to extract a 800x800 crop from, but it seems to get inadvertently downscaled.
The workflow I am trying right now:
- Create the project and set the video mode to a custom 800x800 60fps.
- Add the recording as a playlist item.
- Add the source video from the playlist into a video track.
- This is where is apparently goes wrong. The clip is downscaled to fit the 800x800 canvas.
- Apply a “Size, Position & Rotate” with a 320% zoom (and a position offset) to get the crop I want, properly centerd.
- Export the clip in a lossless format. The resulting video has very bad quality and it looks like it is an upscaled 800x450 clip.
Where am I going wrong there? Is there a way to prevent the automatic downscaling when adding a clip to the timeline? (It won’t fit on the canvas then, but since I’m cropping it it doesn’t need to).
Things I’ve already checked:
- The recording is really 2560x1440 and high quality.
- Tested multiple export formats and exported a single frame, they all expose the same quality issues.
I guess this is a very simple issue, but I haven’t found a solution in multiple hours of trying. Is there a completely different workflow I need?