Trim the beginning of a file by dragging

I want to be able to effectively trim the beginning of a file by dragging it, but can’t seem to work out how.

I’ve got high-quality audio recorded on separate files from the video, and I’ve edited the video first that contains the audio from the built-in mic. Now I want to sync up the high-quality audio to the audio on the video track and finally mute the audio on the video track.

I’ve created a separate audio track, and dragged my first hi-quality audio file on to it. What I would really like to be able to do now is drag that track to the left so the beginning is before zero on the timeline, and have it simply drop the audio frames that occur prior to the start of the timeline as I line it up with the audio from the video. I can’t seem to work out how to do that - it just won’t seem to drag to the left. I’ve got ‘ripple edits across all tracks’ set to ‘OFF’.

Then, having lined up the first audio file A and trimmed the right hand side of it off to match the first video clip, I then want to add the next audio file B and drag B to the left to line it up with the audio on the next video clip, but so that it will automatically drop or mute sound on the file B where it overlaps with the existing audio file A that is already on the left.

I can’t work out how to do this. Is there a way in Shotcut? I know professionally people will normally have timecode and stuff to line up audio and video from separate devices, but without that, can I do it this way, or am I missing something?

I know I could select an edit point in the audio to split into two, remove the first one with the minus sign to shift the remaining bit of the audio to the left, that this is hard to do accurately when it’s not lined up. That’s why I want to be able to do it visually by lining up the waveforms and then making small adjustments after listening to audio on both tracks before finally committing the position.

Thanks in advance