Transition Test: Cinematic Title Reveal

6 Likes

That’s a lovely effect, @bentacular . Are you going to do a tutorial on it?

1 Like

Very nice! Great with piano music :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can if there’s demand for it

1 Like

I think there would be a huge demand for that effect.

Here’s my effort to reproduce the effect … I was curious to see if I could do this all within Shotcut. I’ll be even more curious to see if we used the same approach - I’m thinking there are multiple ways to get this result. I’ve included the source picture and the .mlt file as well as the resulting video.

test.mlt (19.3 KB)

1 Like

Nice work @awake ! Did you use mask:simple shape (rectangle) to hide the text?

1 Like

Yes, exactly. I set up the background on tracks v0 and v1 (needed two to handle the portrait orientation of the source picture), then added v2 with a transparent background and a simple text filter. Use key frames to move the text up, then put in a mask to hide it at the beginning … had to do a little key framing to move the mask just a bit to get it to cover and expose as desired.

Then created v3 with transparent background and copied the filters from v2. I adjusted the color and outline of the font, then added a mirror filter followed by an SPR with rotation set to 180*. (Mirror only seemed to allow horizontal mirroring; adding the 180* rotation turned that into a vertical mirroring.)

Of course, took a little tweaking to get the positions just right for start and end of the text and mask.

I wondered if something like a crop filter might be better … or might could use keyframes on the text position to bring it up from the bottom (e.g., let the bottom of the frame crop it), then move it all up with SPR. Or there may be an altogether better way to do it … I am eager to learn!

2 Likes
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.